We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Rental car company

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
1 post
Save Topic
Beware of Rental car company

I am not sure if this is allowed on this site or not, but here goes.

We have been charged $500 for alleged damage to a rental vehicle. We most definitely did not damage it in any way.

I do feel people should be warned to be careful using rental cars.

We rented a vehicle in Wellington used it for one day, looked after it carefully and left it at the airport. We had to pay a fee to be able to leave it there. Nobody was there to receive it from us, we left it in good faith - big mistake. They phoned us 3 days later to tell us about the "damage". We denied it, but our creditcard was charged in any case. Beware of Bargain Rentals/ Hire-ace in Wellington!

I would advice to always check any vehicle carefully for damage before you take possesion and only drop it off where they can provide someone who can sign it off again as not damaged.

It is a pitty that some crooks influence the whole industry. It is better(cheaper) to be very careful.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Rental car company

How unfortunate.

However I feel this thread should be labeled, 'Beware of dropping off a rental car without first having it inspected and signed off'.

Two things to consider when renting a vehicle, no matter the country you are in, no matter the rental agency you use...

- have the vehicle inspected by the agency when you return it

- have full insurance so if there is any damage, there are no charges to you

a little forward planning can save considerable time and money later :)

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Rental car company

What sort of damage is claimed - Ask for photo's of the damage if not already provided. They should be able to email them to you. Did the rental company show you the car when you picked it up and provaide a condition report showing none, or any existing damage. Are their photos of the car you may have taken during your time using it that show no damage to area claimed to be damaged.

If you after seeing the photo's you feel strongly you did not cause the damage claimed enter a disputed transaction claim with the card company.

Tell them as much detail as possible.

Edited: 5:35 pm, December 29, 2010
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Rental car company

If there is no damage as claimed caused by you, all you need to do is to dispute the credit card charge with your credit card company.

The Rental car company or anyone else who charges to a credit card can have such charges disputed and it is then up to them to proove that the charge was a legitimate charge.

The credit card company will cancell their charge untill it is proved

As above for any one who hires a rental car.

take photos all around the car and check thatthe spare wheel is in place.

If there is no one to receive the car, again take photos of the car as left by you and as per arragement. .

Digital cameras are relativly cheap but can save a lot of time and inconvienience at times like this.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Rental car company

Number one rule when hiring a vehicle whether you have it inspected by the hirer or not- take lots of photos(with the date and time imprint on) all around the car before you remove it from their carpark and again when you leave it in their carpark or the airport carpark at the end of the hirage. You will then have proof available to show your credit card company and/or the rental company if there is a dispute.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Rental car company

Well my main concerned is not the rental company , but to have to drive on the left would ruin my vacation there especially through towns. It would be too stressfu of a vacationl! This why I have always been reluctant to visit the country and others like England and Australia. How many people like myself are avoiding visiting theses countries because of this? Sweden switched to driving on the right side long time ago.How did they do it?. They made all the traffic stopped at midnight, and made them switched to the other side If I recall correctly! I do not understand in today globalisation why England , Australia and New zealand could not do the same!.

I do not understand in todays globalisation why at least australia and New zealand could not do the same....

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Rental car company

and while we are it, why don't all countries speak the one language... and have the same currency... and eat the same food?

After all, it makes travel so difficult when you constantly have to juggle different cultures. Why can't we all just be the same so that no one will have their vacation ruined by having to try new things?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Rental car company

>>I do not understand in todays globalisation why at least australia and New zealand could not do the same....<<

BECAUSE:

It would cost millions of dollars in reconstructing road junctions designed for left-hand driving.

Thousands of traffic lights would have to be changed to have left-turn filter arrows instead of right-turn filters.

Every vehicle in Australia and New Zealand would have its driving seat on the wrong side.

There would be thousands of road accidents cause by people forgetting and continuing to drive on the left.

No useful purpose would be served.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Rental car company

Are you for real basilere? Such a narrow-minded view, tut-tut!

This may go a little way to explaining why driving on the left hand side of the road is in fact the correct way to do it; maybe you need to get your country to swap eh? Just be thankful we no longer wear scabbards otherwise I think you wouldn't last long :)

"About a quarter of the world drives on the left, and the countries that do are mostly old British colonies. This strange quirk perplexes the rest of the world; but there is a perfectly good reason.

In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road."

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Rental car company

Not only former British colonies drive on the left - Thailand and Japan also drive on the left. Self-driving is just one travel option anyway. Bus tours and public transport are other possible options in New Zealand.

Also on the subject of international standardisation (without a z), why doesn't every country use metric measurement (litres and metres etc) and international dates, where Christmas Day would be 25/12.

My apologies to the original poster for being off topic, but I couldn't resist :-) I think you've had some really good advice above, so I hope you're able to resolve the problem.

Edited: 4:20 am, December 30, 2010
Kansas City
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Rental car company

A word in defense of "basili" What those of you who live in countries that drive on the left must understand is we "Yanks" think that the world revolves around us. That's why we drive on the right, don't use the metric system and don't use the international system of noting day/month/year. It's only natural that we find traveling to other countries inconvenient. If basili wants to travel to a foreign country all he has to do is drive (on the right) down the road to Disneyland.