We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

Hi there.

Just wondering if anyone can help. We are travelling to Wellington for a long weekend in June (me, my husband and 2 children-7yrs and 4yrs) and we are trying to decide where to stay. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor we have narrowed it down to these 3 places. All are around the same price ($200ish a night). Our priorities are cleanliness!!! and close promimity to things as we have decided not to get a rental car. We do want to treat ourselves a bit too so we have decided to spend a little more than we normally would. With 2 youngish children, we will be spending most of the evening in our room so we want to be comfortable. Any recommendations? Or have we missed any other choices?

Thanks so much for any help.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

Oops, I meant proximity. Sorry.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

I haven't stayed at any of these places, so I can't comment on their cleanliness. But I can on their location . . .

The Museum hotel is (obviously) opposite Te Papa and is a block over from Courtenay Place, where you will be spoilt for choice for eating options.

Boulcott suites are the next closest. You get the best of both worlds - it's between Courtenay and Cuba St, and Lambton Quay (for shopping). A kitchen is an added bonus - New World Metro is a very easy 5 minute walk away.

Holiday Inn is probably the newest (I don't know the age of Boulcott), but is located near the railway station, at the northern end of Lambton Quay. It's about a 15-20 minute walk to Courtenay, and food options are more limited as it's in the business end of town. But buses are cheap in the city ($1 for an adult), and if the weather is nice, it's a very pleasant walk along the waterfront. There's a toy shop right beside it if you want to tempt fate . . .

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,131 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

The Holiday Inn is only 15 months old. It s a 5 star hotel at 4 star prices. I have been through this hotel although not stayed there and I was very impressed. As has been advised it is close to the station but is a pleasant walk along the waterfront to Te Papa and Coutney Place. It is only a 5 minute walk to the Cable car. Boulcott Suites has a full kitchen which has advantages for a family. The Museum Hotel is a standard down from the Holiday Inn.

You will probably find more space at Boulcott Suites because of the nature of the establishment. I would be surprised if you could get away with a $200 room for 4 people at either the Museum or Holiday Inn. I would check out their websites.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

Thanks for your help. I have already received quotes from all 3 places, which is what I based my $200 a night on.

Hmmm...might be leaning towards the Holiday Inn now. Any other thoughts?

Auckland
Level Contributor
477 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

I usually try and stay at boulcott when I am in Wellington as the location is good for me for work, I have recommended to others who have been equally happy. Its comfortable, clean and I like the kitchen area, if possible I try to get the 2 bed townhouses rather than the apartments. If you are planning on staying in I like that the sleeping area is upstairs.Can't comment on the other 2 but from what I know the Holiday Inn is a wee bit further out.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
645 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

Both the Museum and Boulcott Suites have the ability for you to have a seperate room and kitchen which I think with 2 children might be beneficial. With Holiday Inn you would be looking at a normal hotel room which mightnt be as much fun!

I have stayed at the Museum hotel in their apartments, they are beautiful, well appointed, all the ameneties, and wonderful spa bath that you would be able to relax and enjoy when the children are in bed.

All are pretty well situated, Wellington is a compact city so pretty easy to get around and the main CBD is flat, unlike the surrounding suburbs so easy walking.

enjoy your stay which ever you chose.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

I do not agree with Beanb41 that the Museum Hotel is a step down from the Holiday Inn now that they have very nice apartments attached to the hotel. In my opinion these apartments ( studio, twin studio, 1 and 2 bedroom) are a big step up from the Holiday Inn. Also, I would hardly call Holiday Inn wellington a 5 star hotel!

8. Re: Holiday Inn? Museum Hotel? Boulcott Suites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 22, 2009