We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Wellington

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derby
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Wellington

My partner and I are coming over from U.K to see family and get married in Wellington around December. Can anyone reccomend a hotel and good restraunte for this Special occassion??

CharlieDerby

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
518 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

There is a restaurant at the top of the cable car that was preparing for a wedding reception when we visited - I remember thinking it would be a nice spot for it. Not sure whether that was the sort of thing you had in mind.

Derby
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Thank's for that, can you remember the name of the venue? or can anyone else provide some suggestions? I still don't know which hotel to book for a couple of nights...

Regards

CharlieDerby

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
518 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Looks like it might be the Skyline Restaurant mentioned here - we only had acoffee in the cafe so you'll need someone who has been there to comment on the food, but the view was excellent.

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/Conventions/Venue/The+Skyline/The+Skyline.htm

nz
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Hi Charlie

I am a kiwi and regular visitor to Wellington.

The most expensive hotel in Wellington is the Intercontinental with a very good/very expensive restaurant. Duxton hotel/restaurant is also good for Weddings and I can personally recommend accommodation/restaurants (albeit 3 years ago). There is a new 5 star called the Bolton but I have not been there. Personally I would avoid the Novotel as it is good but more a business hotel and quite cramped. James Cook is very good if you get a Superior (not standard room). I stay there a lot but on business but would go for the 2 above if i was getting married there. There are other very good hotels but I have not stayed at them.

Basically Wellington has got some really bad places so despite the strength of our dollar don't be tempted to go for anything cheap and stick with big names.

http://www.wellingtonnz.com is a useful site.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
744 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

It is unclear if you want to get married at the hotel or restaurant or are you getting married somewhere else and just want a venue for after the wedding and a hotel for you and the guests to stay?

There are many, many restaurants suitable for an after wedding celebration but do remember that December is the height of pre Christmas celebrations and almost all places are fully booked during that time. It depends on how many people you want to have catered for but I would certainly start looking at booking now.

You could have a look at www.dineout.co.nz for some suggestions for restaurants but if you can be more specific we can be more helpful.

Derby
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

We are going to get married in registry office, our witness' are are going to join us in Wellington the day before and we will be staying in Wellington for two nights. Thank's for the recommendation of Hotels. As it's only a very small low key wedding, I was after a good restraunt after the registry office, I will look into the web link that's been provided..

Thank's for all your suggestions, been very helpful!

CharlieDerby X

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
744 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

As you want a restaurant for an after wedding dinner we can make some suggestions for you depending on your budget. Some restaurants will have a website with their menus listed.

8. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:39 am, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Wellington