We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Wellington in August 07 from Los Angeles

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Wellington in August 07 from Los Angeles

Hi!

My husband and I are moving to Wellington in Aug. 2007 from Los Angeles. We are in our late-20s and want to explore a new country before starting a family. We intend to live in NZ for approximately one year and have heard many wonderful things about Wellington. I have heard its can be compared to sea-side towns like Seattle or San Francisco - would you say that was an accurate statement? Also, where should we live? I want to be in a neighborhood that has a variety of restaurants, cafes, and shops, has a decent night life and good public transportation. We also hope to rent a home that is furnished or at least partially furnished? Are those easy to come by? Do you have furniture rental shops? Or furniture stores like IKEA should we need to purchase our own stuff? Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Johnson

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Moving to Wellington in August 07 from Los Angeles

Hello Mrs. J,

I'm from the Vancouver area in Canada, and moved to Wellington in 2004 where I lived for about six months. I may have some info/prospective that locals may not (being a foreigner).

I loved Windy Welly (lol)...I lived in Thorndon (nice and close to downtown), across the street from the Botanic Gardens!

I found it quite easy to find a job (suppose that would depend on what kind of jobs you and your husband are looking for though).

I took a quick look at that link that you sent on immigration, and on the first page under ‘1. General Requirements’ and then ‘a’ it says that there is an application fee. I paid about $150NZ Dollars for my Working Holiday Visa.

FYI –not sure if it’s the same for all visa’s but for the one I had, they only give out a certain number each year-I applied for mine in November and was told that they were not giving out any more, and that I would have to apply for one the next year (so I got a visitors visa when I arrive in Auckland and then applied for the working visa in Wellington).

Do you know if this is the case for the visa you are applying for? Deffo something to find out if you are going in August.

Also good to know! It is difficult to open a bank account unless you have the working visa. I opened an account at the Bank of New Zealand (on Lampson Quay in downtown Wellington) with no problems however.

Prices may look ‘expensive’ but their taxes are included in the sticker price!

Bring LOTS of warm clothes, they do not have central heating (at least not in any of the houses I was in) so it’s COLD there in the winter (my favourite story is when I was sitting in my living room and could see my own breathe! LOL)….they use plug in heaters that can be moved from room to room. Hot water bottles in the bed also helped!

Rent is by the week, rather than by the month.

If you want more info, send me a PM! And if I think of anything else I’ll deffo send you a message!

Good luck and have fun!!

:-) Kate

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Moving to Wellington in August 07 from Los Angeles

That's the calm before the storm I think you'll find Mike!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Moving to Wellington in August 07 from Los Angeles

Touchy ( I think thats how they spell it ) Zappers

We have been having a bit of an Indian summer here in the capital after a late starting summer. Long may it continue. We have enough blowhards in the beehive without any adverse weather outside.

Mike

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Moving to Wellington in August 07 from Los Angeles

Is this what you were looking for- touché

We have also had the last 12 days (& counting) of perfect autumn sunshine, no wind, mill pond harbour and temps still in the late teens/early 20s. Long may it last, I'm lapping up those rays!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Moving to Wellington in August 07 from Los Angeles

something like that

16. Re: Moving to Wellington in August 07 from Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 31, 2009