We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advice

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
83 reviews
70 helpful votes
Hotel advice

I normally wouldn't ask this (too subjective!) but I can't decide. Travelling March 2017 and looking at Mercure Abel Tasman and Rydges. Aside from price and quality difference (I'm aware of these) what are the pros and cons between these hotels.

Arriving by train and departing by air. And I'm not young, so walking has to be relatively easy.

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
456 posts
66 reviews
30 helpful votes
1. Re: Hotel advice

Go to trip advisor reviews and look them up.

Auckland
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
57 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Hotel advice

My vote is for Rydges. I like a room with a view in Wellington to look over the harbour.

Also it's much closer to the waterfront area which is all flat and many restaurants, cafes and bars there. It's closer to the railway station but you will need a taxi or shuttle for the airport.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
146 posts
67 reviews
87 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel advice

I would probably go with Rydges as the better location as well. It is close to the railway station, and to the bus stop for the airport and CBD buses. The area around Rydges will be quieter at night as it is very much the business part of town, which means slightly fewer restaurants within a couple of blocks - although as Wahine says, the waterfront is an easy walk.

The Abel Tasman is not close to public transport and is on a slight slope above the centre of town, although it is also across the road from possibly the best cafe in town (Flight Coffee Hangar).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
83 reviews
70 helpful votes
4. Re: Hotel advice

Thank you both for your replies. I guess it confirms the way I was leaning.

Edited: 2:08 am, January 12, 2017
New Zealand
Level Contributor
7,179 posts
389 reviews
286 helpful votes
5. Re: Hotel advice

The Abel Tasman is convenient for public transport, with northbound buses stopping one block away in Manners St and southbound buses stopping two blocks away in Willis St. Although this is a similar distance from public transport as Rydges is, Willis Street does have a moderate slope at this point. I suggest you look at Google maps street view to see how much of an impediment this slop would be to you.

Rydges has a better in-house restaurant, but the Abel Tasman has more restaurants in the immediate area, including some very reasonably priced ethnic restaurants.

As far as sights are concerned, the Abel Tasman is closer to Te Papa, they are about equal distance to the Cable Car (for the botanic gardens), and Rydges is better located for the waterfront. Rydges is better located for Lambton Quay shopping (major chains and high end), while the Abel Tasman is better located for Cuba St shopping (younger and more individual and specialty stores).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
83 reviews
70 helpful votes
6. Re: Hotel advice

Thanks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
146 reviews
125 helpful votes
7. Re: Hotel advice

As usual, it all depends...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
83 reviews
70 helpful votes
8. Re: Hotel advice

Thanks to all. Decision made - it's Rydges.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
225 reviews
105 helpful votes
9. Re: Hotel advice

Good choice. I stayed in the Abel Tasman a few years ago and it was a little downmarket!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
7,179 posts
389 reviews
286 helpful votes
10. Re: Hotel advice

The Abel Tasman has been refurbished a bit since it became the Mercure so it's probably better than when you stayed, but Rydges is a more upmarket brand.