We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Manganui in December?

Which Tauranga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Manganui in December?

Hi - I am planning visiting for around a week from around 7th December for a family wedding. I don't want to be a nuisance to the family so had planned getting a room, probably at Mount Manganui. Can I ask the experts how soon I would need to book as I know it will be high season? Also I probably plan to arrive by bus so it would be useful to know I could get around on public transport. I would need to get to Te Puna for the wedding - would taxis be readily available? Also whereabouts would be best to get day trips from? And if I decided to hire a car for a few days would that be possible at this time of year? Sorry for all these questions, but just thought it easier to ask those that know before I book. Thanks, Janet

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

Some of the buses do drop offs in the Mount, but even if you get dropped in Tauranga itself, the local buses are just around the corner to take you out. They'll be fine for getting you backwards and forwards between the Mount and Tauranga itself, but might be a bit random to be reliable to get you to the wedding (I have to confess, I do not even know if they go out that way).

Some places are already full in the Mount for when you'll be there. I think that a lot of the rooms there are not on the normal listing sites - travelbug.co.nz has many more options than, for example, expedia or hotelclub. I'd suggest keeping a watching brief and if you have a particular place in mind to stay, sooner rather than later would be better.

Hopefully someone else can assist with the rental car situation in Tauranga - it does sound like you'll need one for the wedding itself, and it would be useful to have one to make trips.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

Although there will still be plenty of accommodation available before Christmas, the prime sites will most probably have gone so it'll be best to book as soon as you find something suitable. The Mount is indeed the best place to base yourself, lots of lovely walks along Pilot bay, the beachfront and around the Mount plus the hot pools, cafes and resturants. There are plenty of buses to take you around and about including over to Tauranga. Here's the bus timetable;

baybus.co.nz/regions/Tauranga/Default.aspx

You can get as far as Bethleham on a bus but unfortunately not to Te Puna. Do you know where the wedding is in Te Puna? A taxi would possibly cost you around $40-50 depending where in Te Puna and it won't be a problem hiring one although you would probably need to book one for the return trip.

Hiring a car is a good option, this is a local company our business uses occasionally, they have very good rates;

http://www.rentalcarstauranga.co.nz/

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

You may not get a view but this motel is in an excellent position in Pilot Bay. It's nothing too flash, just your regular Kiwi motel but it has won AA's "Supreme Host of the Year" 3 or 4 times in recent years. It's good Kiwi hospitality at it's best.

http://www.westhavenmotel.co.nz/

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

Thank you NZ Barry and Zappers. Plenty of info here for me to look at make decisions from. And reassuring too. Thank you so much.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

Thank you NZ Barry and Zappers. I have just returned from my trip to NZ and had a wonderful time made easier by your helpful replies to my initial questions.

I booked a lovely apartment at the foot of The Mount opposite the bus stop and used the buses to get all over. They were a very cheap, reliable and easy way to get about.

The Mount was a wonderful base - I had views of Pilot Bay, The Mount and the ocean from my windows and with all the shops, cafes and restaurants so handy it was wonderful.

Lovely country and people made my stay exceptional, thanks again, Janet

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

Glad you had a lovely time Janet, hope the wedding went off well. It's another glorious Bay of Plenty day today, the inner harbour, the ocean and the Mount look spectacular sparkling under the hot sun and turquoise waters. Come again soon

Gold Coast
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

Hi, we're heading there next week, and would be very interested in the name of the place you booked at the Mount. Thank you

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

Thank you, Zappers, I do hope I can return again - there is so much more I want to see and do, but it is such a long way from the UK it really is a luxury, but hopefully will be back.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

Hi verygcl

I stayed in what was advertised on the internet through Travelbug.co.nz as The Penthouse Apartment. It was actually part of 'The Hot Spot' directly opposite the hot pools. It was perfect for me as I was travelling alone - I felt really at home and secure.

There were so many apartments along the same road, though, and lots of them looked lovely - where are you booked into?

Gold Coast
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mount Manganui in December?

Hi janetlb, havent booked as yet, just about too..thanks for the tip.