We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

Which Tauranga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

Is it possible to reach the Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

I have read that it´s about 15 m. from Tauranga, and I am looking at the possibility of going there

Thank youy

Jose

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

Unfortunately as far as I am aware there is no public transport to or from McLaren Falls.

You could prehaps drop this company an email, they do airport shuttle transfers between Auckland and Tauranga and also local tours and one off deliveries. They may be able to help you or suggest a nother way to get there.

McLaren Falls is a couple of kms off a major State Highway, there would be buses and tour companies using the road every day, you may be able to get dropped off but it would be getting back to the city afterwards that could be a problem. I shall ask at the iSite(information centre) later in the week when I'm in town.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

Just in case you are not already aware of this but the the McLaren Falls only flow when water is released from the dam above the falls on Sundays at 10.00 a.m oto enable the river to be used for whitewater kayaking and rafting.

The water is not released every Sunday but the dates when it is can be found on:

http://rivers.org.nz/events/

If you want some adventure then you may wish to join a rafting trip down the river - it is by far the best run in the central north island. I would recommend Kaituna Cascades

www.kaitunacascades.co.nz

who unlike other operators go right down to the paddock by the power station which takes in 3 or 4 good rapids including the bottom waterfall

Tauranga
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

Try

coastlineshuttles.co.nz/sight-seeing-tours.h…

or

www.newzealandadventure.co.nz/sightseeing.htm

or any of the taxi companies. No public transport up to there, sorry.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

Thank you all for your comments. I will have a look at the tour companies.

Lonekaurilodge: Thank you, bur rafting is not for me, just a problem with my eyes.....

Jose

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

Jose, what Lonekauri means is that the Falls aren't falls unless rafting is happening which happens only a certain number of days a year- below the falls are some terrifying grade 5 rapids and they need the flow to make them work!. All other days the water flow is directed into another channel and carried downstream to the hydro power station. Although even though most of the water flow is directed elsewhere there is a reasonable amount still falling over the Falls. Having said that I have seen it dry in late summer.

Still the rest of the McLaren Falls Park is great to visit, there's a lovely walk through native bush to a smaller falls, a beautiful lake, water fowl and one of the biggest collections of exotic specimen trees in NZ. You can also access Marshalls Animal Farm from the park and further up the valley another isolated lake with a couple of good bush walks.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

And I forgot the link in my first post-

http://www.luxuryshuttles.co.nz/

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

Thank you Zappers.

Jose

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

No, unfortunately there is no Public transport to Mc Laren Falls. You could consider hiring a car for a single day from Tauranga, approx 30$ to see the falls :)

9. Re: Mclaren Falls Park by public transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 11, 2010