We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

geology

London
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
geology

My husband and I are coming to NZ in Feb/March next year. We will be based in Tauranga. Our main interest is in the geology of NZ and in particular the volcanic area around Oranui (?). I think that is near Lake Taupo. Any suggestions of who to contact to find out more about the geology of NZ generally would be appreciated. Also - is distance from Tauranga to Lake Taupo going to make going and returning in a day a problem? Thanks for any help given.

Bedford, England
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: geology

its about a 2 -3 hour drive between Tauranga and Taupo

London, UK
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: geology

Visit the Royal Society of New Zealand website for abstracts and pdf articles in the New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics:

http://www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjgg/

Specifically on Oruanui:

www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjgg/2004/042.php

and: www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Lake-Taupo

For general geological info there is a good website here:

…govt.nz/1966/…en

You can find a good amount of info here:

http://www.gns.cri.nz/

…waikato.ac.nz/evolution/geologicalHistory.s…

If you click on the Taupo link you find out some information on Oruanui: …nodak.edu/vwdocs/…new_zealand.html

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
228 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: geology

Where in Tauranga are you going to be AND where in Taupo are you going. 2 - 3 hours is a reasonable estimate. I can do Rotorua to Tauranga in 40 minutes and Taupo in an hour, but at certain times of day each would double.

If he wants to be south of Taupo (e.g. Turangi) then it is quite a bit further. I suspect he'll be looking at going to Wai O Tapu, which is about 20 minutes out of Rotorua.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: geology

make sure you go to white island. its an active marine volcano. it is a truely facinating trip!!!!