We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Tour in Tauranga

Which Tauranga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Tour in Tauranga

Zappers, I read your posting recommending some tour links. I will arrive on the Sapphire Princess early April and have contacted Mount Classics (www.mctours.co.nz) for a 3 hour local tour of Tauranga, including the Elms Mission, Minden Scenic lookout, Kiwi 360 and Comvita.

I have been to the Rotorua area in the past, but have not been to Tauranga area, so thought I would do this short tour and use the remainder of the day to walk the Mount, etc. Just thought I would run this by you in case you have comments or suggestions.

How long does it take to walk up & down the Mount? Is it better to climb the Mount in the morning or afternoon? I thought I would do the 10 AM tour for 3 hours, eat lunch and then walk.

I welcome comments from anyone else, too!

Thanks.

And thank you, Zappers. I have been taking advantage of your postings to others.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

Hi pianolady, your plan is a good one- have a good tour of the district and get the lay of land in the morning followed by a "relaxing" afternoon in close proximty of the ship in the afternoon.

The climb up the mount is very rewarding, not least because you make it to the top! The 360o views of the surrounding beaches, islands and city are amazing. You'll want to sit and contemplate life for an hour or so beleive me! You can run to the top in 20minutes :) and become the new "Queen of the Mountain" if you like otherwise it takes about an hour to walk it, it's not too bad a hike, it's the last 100 metres that are the killer, steep, very steep! There are numerous tracks, don't take the vehicle access track, that's cheating! And it's graveley so you slip & slide a bit. Once you've done the top, you've also got to walk around the base, it's totally different and a nice stroll. Make sure you take some water and a snack it's longer than you think. Afternoon climb is fine, a lot of the tracks have native bush to shade you, let's hope it's not raining.

You could spend the rest of the afternoon walking the beach- it stretches for miles, it's a great way to meet locals, out walking their dogs or kids in the late afternoon. You could spread a towel on the sand at Pilot Bay and watch the world go by. Walk into town, 5 minutes from the ship, there are lots of cafes & restaurants, up-market galleries and gift shops. Not sure of the date you're here but hope it's not Good Friday (6th April) otherwise most of the shops will be closed- even though we think The Mount is a tourist town they haven't good an exemption like other towns i.e Rotorua & Queenstown

I'd gladly have a cup of coffee/wine with you if you'd like (although I may still be in Taipei-coming back that 1st week in April) leave me your email and I can touch base with you if you want.

Did you come across this inside page when you were lurking :) , it has pictures of The Mount and a cruise ship berthed at Pilot Bay?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255104-c3673/New-Zea…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

Thank you so much, Zappers!

I will be in Tauranga Wed, April 4, and sounds like you'll be traveling. Have a great trip!. Thanks for your suggestions for the Mount. I will try to climb it AND walk the base and enjoy the beach/town and relax, too! Sounds great!

I will be in Paihia Good Friday, so I hope I can take the ferry to Russell that day. I wonder if Russell and Paihia will be shut down. If so, I will enjoy just walking around. I will be pushing a stroller, and just enjoying the area. My family will be doing a Cape Reinga tour that day while I stay with the baby. I did the Cape Reinga tour 5 years ago, so will let them all enjoy it. They have tour reservations, so I assume the tours will be operating.

California
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

Thank you Pianolady!! I am new here and very new to world travel.

My first post!! :-)

I plan to be traveling to South Australia (hopefully) to check out the Holden factory near Elizabeth where the fabulous new Commodore VE is built and I might just have to take a spin by New Zealand. You make it sound so enticing!! Thanks again!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

Tourist activities, tours etc are fine, they all operate, it's retail shops (other than the necessary dairies & petrol stations and souvenir shops) that aren't allowed to open. Watch for restaurants and cafes that are open, there will most likely be a 15% surcharge added to your bill.

I shall be back in Tauranga on the 4th(just) but most likely at the maternity ward awaiting the birth of Mr Z's 1st grandchild- elective caesarian!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

Thank you Zappers, and also Congratulations on the grandchild. Exciting! It would have been lovely to meet you, but I can tell you will pre-occupied. ( It is a grandchild I will be pushing in the stroller! )

One question for future use--How would I give you, or anyone, my email address? I don't see a way to leave it on your profile site. Do I leave it in a post?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

Yes, you have to post it on the thread, so be aware all and sundry will have access to it- not that you guys out there are creepy or anything! :)

Have a great time in Tauranga, I shall wave to you anyway from my balcony as you come through the entrance (at some ungodly hour)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

Heres a way that you can send your email or any other private message without letting the world know.

If you register and log onto the following forum you can send private messages to another member without having to give away personal details eg email addresses to the world.

There are others, but I am a regular user of this forum and it works well.

www.// forum.asiawebdirect.com.

It is another forum similar to T/A

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

Good idea bean, you can also set up an email address at yahoo or hotmail seperate to your usual address and use this for general correspondence.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

Good ideas, bean and Zappers. I'll try them.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Tour in Tauranga

No need pianolady! Our ears must have been burning, TA now has a message system (amazing what happens while you're sleeping) If you click on the posters name you're taken to their profile page and under their screenname and beside the picture it says "send message" Here you can send a private message to the person AND block them if they're nasty to you as well. To retrieve a message sent to you pass the cursor over the "my tripadvisor" title in the green banner at the top of the page and you'll see the 4th one down is "messages".

Great idea TA- I'll try it, sending you one now............