We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Taupo...Rotorua itinerary

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
61 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Taupo...Rotorua itinerary

It seems there is an abundance to do in Rotorua. We will be there for 3 nights and have planned the following:

Day 1: drive from Auckland to Rotorua; plan to go to Polynesian Spa in late afternoon

Day 2: tour with helicoptor to Mt. Tarawera in morning and plan to book a Maori cultural experience in evening...suggestions welcomed!

Day 3: tour of geothermal area in morning

My question is Lake Taupo something we should consider doing in the afternoon of day 3? I am reading that it is an approx. 1 hour drive from Rotorua. My husband and I enjoy scenic drives and scenic destinations. Is this one worth it considering our itinerary?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Taupo...Rotorua itinerary

Absolutely!

If you're leaving Auckland early enough you should be able to do a few other things in Rotorua before the Spa. The heli tour will be a fabulous way of seeing the area and all the lakes from the air. Mt Tarawera is especially awesome.

Here's a couple of threads that may be of interest to you including a choice of routes Auck-Rotorua. If you're into scenery then take Option 3, a little longer but boy is it worth it!

There are a number of concerts but either the Tamaki Village or Matai would probably be the best.

Personally Waimungu is my favourite thermal park and you're only going to be 40 minutes from Taupo so drive on down. If you have time drive around to Acacia Bay lovely scenery & short walking tracks), it's on the western side of the Taupo town bay and you turn right (heading south) just before you cross the Waikato River and drive into town.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255105-i403-k4657…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255104-c3825/New-Zea…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255111-i1219-k414…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255104-c11065/New-Ze…

There are also some Rotorua photo on my file, down towards the bottom. Check out my other inside pages there are a couple more about Rotorua that may help you.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
61 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Taupo...Rotorua itinerary

Thanks Zappers! Great to hear from you since you have already unknowingly planned most of our 20 day vacation to NZ. I had already found your post on the routes to Rotorua and plan to take option 3! As for the Waimangu area, we are taking a Nature Connection tour and that is where they say we are going. If you think Lake Taupo is a must then we will return via their transportation and get our own car to travel to Lake Taupo. And are you agreeing that it can be a half day adventure? I would think we could enjoy the drive and scenery, find a place to eat in the area for dinner and still make it back to Rotorua by 9PM or so. Right?

3. Re: Lake Taupo...Rotorua itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 14, 2009