We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellington to Nelson

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wellington to Nelson

Is this a doable drive in one day via a stop at Taupo and see a Maori experience evening

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,329 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wellington to Nelson

With respect, I think you need to take another look at a map of NZ.

Wellington - bottom of North Island. Nelson - top of South Island with Cook Strait in between. Rotorua is much further up the North Island. Not really going to happen.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wellington to Nelson

Um you can't drive Wellington to Nelson ..... it's either a plane ride or ferry trip (which you can take your car onboard).

To experience a Maori culture evening I'm assuming you are referring to Rotorua?

I would have to say yes it is possible to drive Rotorua - Taupo - Wellington in one day; a very long day of driving, almost 6hours. The ferry Wellington to Nelson is very scenic so would not recommend tourists to take night time ferry unless they have absolutely no interest in the beauty of the Cook Strait crossing.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellington to Nelson

The ferry is 3.5 hours, plus 45 minutes or so to check in (longer if you have a car). Then it's just under a 2 hour drive from Picton (the port) to Nelson - longer if you take the scenic route. You can do Wellington to Nelson in a day, but it would be very foolhardy to attempt the trip from Taupo (+5 hours) or Rotorua (+6.5 hours) unless you are flying.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellington to Nelson

I hope you don't mean Auckland to Nelson? Like the others I am confused. I don't know of any Maori experience in Wellington, Taupo or Nelson!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellington to Nelson

No you cant drive Wellington to Nelson. Although someone did try last year on a car that they converted to also become a boat. You have to use the ferry or fly

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wellington to Nelson

Hi Kitten :)

do you mean to drive Wellington to Taupo?

yes, the drive is about 5 hours so you will arrive in time for evening entertainment.

Happy travels :)

7. Re: Wellington to Nelson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 28, 2014