We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island 1 week at Christmas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
North Island 1 week at Christmas

Hi all,

I have a week in the North Island from 22nd December (I arrive late that evening) until the 30th (departing early morning). I arrive and depart from Wellington. I know a week isn't very long but I have been doing a bit of research on areas to go and so far have the following itinerary.

22 Arrive

23 day in Wellington

24 leave for Hawkes Bay/Napier

25 Hawkes Bay/ Napier

26 early morning leave for Taupo/Rotorua

27 Taupo/Rotorua

28 leave for Waitomo and go via Hobbiton

29 Waitomo in the morning possible black water rafting and then head to Wellington in the afternoon

30 Leave Wellington

Rather than doing a night in each place I would like to stay 2 nights in Hawkes Bay, 2 nights in either Taupo or Rotoura and 1 night in Waitomo.

Do you think I will be seeing a good selection of the North Island in 7 days?

Would you say it is better to stay in Taupo or Rotoura? I will drive to one I am not staying in to visit.

Thanks all for your help!

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island 1 week at Christmas

I don't think your itinerary is too bad. Try to do the black water rafting on the 29th. The drive to Wellington from Waitomo is over 6 hours, and being tired from the rafting will not make for a safe trip.

Rotorua and Taupo are both nice places to stay, but I would tend to go for Rotorua, as there's more going on there. You might want to go to a cultural performance/dinner, of which there are some in Rotorua. And you are more likely to find a motel with a geothermally-heated swimming or mineral pool.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island 1 week at Christmas

Great thank you for your advice, its very helpful.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Island 1 week at Christmas

We prefer Taupo to Rotorua, less to do but also less touristy a bit more relaxing. In the end, they are not far apart and but are both good considerations. Here is our review of the actual lakes if interested.

Lake Taupo

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Lake Rotorua

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Have a nice time in New Zealand.

4. Re: North Island 1 week at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 05, 2013