We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

Which Taupo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

I am going to be in Taupo for a few days with my father and uncle in December. We arrive on Christmas Day and will be leaving on Deceber 27th. They have booked a full day trip with a fly fishing guide for the 26th -- I don't fish. I am looking for advice as to what tours, trips, etc. I should look into booking for me on the 26th. We are staying in Taupo. A complicating factor -- I won't have access to a vehicle. I am a an adventerous, fun-loving 35 year old Texas who wants to see the scenery of the area, but doesn't want just a bus tour. Any suggestions?

Another question: we arrive in Taupo on Christmas Day and are interested in eating a nice dinner -- will any restaurants be open? If so, any recommendations?

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

Hi there, the best way to see the sights of Taupo if you do not have a car is with the HOTBUS. It’s a jump on jump off tour van and visits most of the tourist sites around the area.

Website is www.hotbus.co.nz

All the hotels will be open on Christmas Day but you will need to book ahead.

I can recommend Wairakei Resort for lunch or dinner on Christmas Day. www.wairakei.co.nz

Also Millennium Manuels www.manuels.co.nz

Taupo is soon to have a Hilton Hotel opening before Xmas. We might just try them out this year.

If you are looking for a less expensive alternative, some of the takeaways and Asian restaurants will be open. Last year I noticed Subway were trading on Xmas Day and BP connect service station cafe was operating.

2. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:24 am, September 17, 2009
3. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:24 am, September 17, 2009
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

There you are Dallask10, this should take care of your day-

www.fourplay.co.nz/html/s01_home/home.asp

A little on the pricey side but hey, how often will you be in the extreme sports country of the world! And besides I bet that guided fishing trip costs just as much ;)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

Thank you for your suggestions! This is the most helpful and friendly forum -- I've used it to plan my whole trip! I can't wait to visit New Zealand -- December can't come fast enough.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
744 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

Last year we had Christmas lunch at the Terraces Hotel in Taupo. It was a very nice meal and the view out over the lake is lovely. You would certainly need to book now as it is a very popular place to be for lunch on Christmas day. Check out their website www.terraceshotel.co.nz

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

The Terraces Hotel is soon to become the Hilton Taupo. It is having a complete refurbishment and will be operating as the Hilton by December.

The location is stunning and would be very nice place to go for Xmas Day. As soon as the Xmas menu is advertised, I will post details on tripadviser.

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

I can second the suggestion to use the HotBus. We used this service while in Taupo this past September and it was great. I think it was $20 for four stops, but you will need to check as I do not exactly remember. They picked us up in the morning at our accomodation and took us to the sites we wanted to see, we just called them when we were ready for pick up and a van would appear in just a few minutes. The drivers were a wealth of information, as well, providing us with dining recommendations and facts about the area. We used the service for 2 days.

Sarasota FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

We just returned from a month long criss-cross of New Zealand's North and South Islands. What an incredible country better yet what an incredible out-doors life style. In Taupo we stayed at the www.Chelmswood.nz Motel. They have suits looking onto the lake, and larger one's (sleeps three easy) in the back though with no view. If you cannot find a place to eat, you can opt to prepare your own meal or grill that catch of fish. They have out door gas grills and indoor kitchen facilities, eat on your patio and then soak in a thermal bath inside your suit. How cool is that. Might have to book immediately, I understand it will all be sold out over the holidays. Happy trails.

BTW: I am a walker, and this is a walker's town, along the lake and everywhere, walk easy to the center of town where all the eateries are.

10. Re: Day in Taupo without a Car -- Suggestions?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:36 am, September 05, 2010