We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island NZ

Which Taupo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
North Island NZ

Can anyone help me plan my holiday.

I arrive in Auckland on Dec 30th. I intend staying either 8 or 9 nights before I take a flight to Sydney.

I would like to hire a car and see/do the following, however I'm not sure on how long it will take to drive and how long to stay at each destination. I have family in The Bay of Islands so I'd like if possible to spend a few days there.

Wish list

SkyTower - Auckland

Skydive over Lake Taupo

Climb Tongariro Crossing

Drive thro (or stay) in Rotorua

Bay of Islands to swim with dolphins and take the hole in the wall boat trip.

Drive back to Auckland to take flight to OZ

Bay Of Plenty
Level Contributor
290 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island NZ

Hello sammyc27----WOW sounds like a really great trip!.

The driving between the towns/cities you've chosen is really quite good.

Auckland to Taupo (Where I live) is 3-3.5 hrs, down to the Tongariro Crossing from Taupo approx 1.5hrs.

Taupo to Rotorus only 45 odd minutes, then up to the Bay of Islands is a good solid 5 hours or maybe longer?

The crossing will be a whole day in itself--so there goes 1 of your days---BUT I've heard its FANTASTIC!!. And I would suggest 2 or 3 days for Taupo/Rotorua at least. Taupo is SO pretty, and if you can get out on our Lake to do some Trout Fishing, that will be just great.

Hope you have a fab trip and LOVE our great little country.

Cheers

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island NZ

Sounds like you need 3 nights in Taupo. Tongariro Alpine crossing is a full day. You can have a pick up from your accommodation and get dropped off at the end of the day. Buses get back into Taupo at 4.30pm.

Tongariro Expeditions also have gear you can hire and snacks on the bus. www.tongariroexpeditions.com

Your ski dive will take up half a day and needs to be booked in advance at this time of year. It is o so popular. Best drop zone in NZ. Look at www.tts.net.nz

Take some time to get out on the lake. When you see it from the sky, you will be blown away by its size.

More information on Taupo www.laketauponz.com

Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Island NZ

Thank you very much for your help.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Island NZ

Hi Sammy,

I'm sure your family in the BOI will spoil you. We have a lovely sub-tropical climate up here, everywhere in Northlnd is near to both coastlines. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, cheeses, wines and seafoods. Foodie paradise. Also many artisitic folk, creating wonderful works in small settlements. Gorgeous beaches and bays to relax by, cool and shade within native bush, swimming in afternoon surf, and BBQs by the still of the evening. Our common Dolphins are curious creatures. Extremely friendly, and they love to play and frolic in the boat's wake.

Enjoy your trip to New Zealand.

5. Re: North Island NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, October 23, 2009