We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Plymouth to Taupo - Best Route Options?

Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
New Plymouth to Taupo - Best Route Options?

We're over from Sydney for a family Christmas, and will be travelling by car to Taupo on our way back to Auckland. Any advice on the best way to go across there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Plymouth to Taupo - Best Route Options?

Hi there, you have quite a few options, however my advice is to pick one of two that sees you sticking to the main roads.

Option one would be to travel up through the scenic Awakino Gorge to Te Kuiti. Here you could make a brief excursion to the Waitomo Caves if that interests you, before continuing east along Highway 30 and then south on State Highway One.

Option two, which is potentially more interesting, but probably slightly longer (someone correct me if I'm wrong), is to travel via the Forgotten World Highway (aatravel.co.nz/101/MustDo_The-Forgotten-Worl…). For this you would travel south to Stratford then along the Forgotten Highway (43) to Taumarunui. From here I think the best route would be to travel along Highway 41 to Turangi and then up State highway 1 to Taupo.

Have a great Xmas

Edited: 8:02 pm, December 23, 2009
Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Plymouth to Taupo - Best Route Options?

Hi There, Oskar -

You don't muck around, do you?! lol

Thanks for the recommendations. We are originally from NZ (me Otago, and my wife Taranaki), and had always just assumed we'd take the first option you suggested, but we did wonder about the second, hence my query. We are actually staying in rural Lepperton (on the Waitara/Inglewood bypass road), so we'd probably go only as far south as Inglewood and drive inland from there, to join up with the Highway 43 route further north.

It certainly does sound as if your option #2 is the more scenic way to go.

I'd be interested to know how long the journey would take without stops, so we could work out a decent time-frame that allowed for pauses here and there...

Thanks again for the help, and all the best to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year, too!

;-)>

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Plymouth to Taupo - Best Route Options?

Hi Kiwikroozer,

I suggest the Forgotton Highway as the best option. Finally did it myself April this year. Official time is about 3 hours but I stopped a lot to enjoy the scenery.

Be warned though that a section of road after Whangamomona is very narow and unsealed, however well worth doing.

Check out the site www.windwand.co.nz/heritagetrail.htm

Cheers.

Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Plymouth to Taupo - Best Route Options?

Thanks, Stanley - and compliments of the season to you.

We shall definitely go that way.

The Wind Wand website is fantastic!!

Only potential hiccup may be the weather that's been predicted...It could well be wet, and visibility limited, but it'll still be a great trip,

Ta heaps to both you and Oskar. I couldn't have asked for better advice, guys. Stay well, and enjoy your travels!

Peter

(Sydney-based Kiwi)

Edited: 3:57 pm, December 25, 2009
5. Re: New Plymouth to Taupo - Best Route Options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 24, 2010
Get answers to your questions about New Plymouth