We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must-dos in Rotorua

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
366 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Must-dos in Rotorua

Hi, I'll be staying two nights in Rotorua, coming from Auckland, and then back to Auckland by car. What do you suggest that we must do/see in Rotorua (we will be going to the Waitomo caves before arriving in Rotorua, and we are a couple in our thirties). Thanks in advance ! :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
206 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

Hi MaGa

Personally I think the Whakarewarewa experience right in Rotorua is fantastic and The Polynesian Spa is a must.

I spend a bit of time in Rotorua and always enjoy spending time in the Government Gardens (near the Polynesian Spa) which also have the Museum and Blue Baths situated there.

The luge ride is fabulous whether you are adventure minded or want a fun experience.

If you can take a short car ride out to the Blue and Green lakes and then on a further ten minutes or so to Lake Tarawera. Pack a picnic there are some beautiful spots to relax and or swim.

Enjoy

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

The options are endless! :)

All of the above are great.

there is also Paradise Valley springs

www.paradisev.co.nz

plus the agrodome, if your wanting to see sheep being shorn, eat chocolate or try the zorb!

www.agrodome.co.nz

If your there in the weekend they have a market on the lake front.

There is also the Jade (greenstone) factory shop in town, where you can watch jewellery being made.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

Tks Daisy and KiwiGirl !!!!!!!!!!!! By the way...I was wondering if there were any maori shows (how is the dance called? Hangi?) in Rotorua that you may recommend ... I wanted to watch something authentic, not just for tourists...

new york
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

Take a horse back tour, the scenery is beautiful. We went to a place on route 5 I think , it was the highlight of our vacation.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
206 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

Try this one, have not been yet myself but have seen on the tele and it looks and sounds great.

www.maoriculture.co.nz/Maori%20Village/Home

The premises I have passed many times and they look very professional.

I would imagine any that are open to the public are pretty much only attended by tourists be they domestic or internattional but having said that I would also imagine that the shows are authentic in that the culture is very highly respected and important to the Maori folk and hence they are very careful to only represent themselves in a way true to themselves.

Hangi = food (kai) cooked in the traditional earth pit oven

Waiata = song

Powhiri = Welcome challenge/song

Haka = tribal war challenge/song

well that is my amateur translation anyway someone more qualified may shed more light lol

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

Thanks to you all, and tks Daisy for the translations !!!!!!!! :)

Mortlake, Australia
Level Contributor
298 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

It's hard to find things that aren't tourist oriented in Rotorua. having said that, I have visited many times as a tourist ( my husband and I take a school group there every two years so we are forever visiting possible attractions!) and have never been disappointed by anything, except perhaps the price.

Personally I love Whakarewarewa Village ( as opposed to the government favoured Te Puia). There's a bit of a tacky tourist feel sometimes, but theres also a real sense of history in that the Maori actually live there. I like their cultural performance because it too seems more real, rather than a polished performance as such. I haven't been to any of the hangi performances because I'm always there with kids and can't afford it. I have eaten authentic hangi though and can thoroughly recommend the taste ( Yum)

For more sense of history and culture you can go down to Ohinemutu ( on the lake front below the hospital) and visit the marae and the cemetery of Maori soldiers. In the yards of the houses nearby you can see steam vents and in some places boiling water just bubbling away by the road side.

The luge is a perennial favourite for my family and my camping groups. One ride is never enough.

For the first time this year we went to the Agrodome to check out their show. 3 yr old loved it but it was a pricey way to see sheep.

We also looked at the Zorb ( pretty over rated I think) and my husband and daughter went on the Swoop. They were genuinely scared so that was worth the money!

Doesn't matter what you do there, I think you will love Rotorua.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

Thanks Kaussie. What is exactly the luge? Everyone seems to be thrilled about it!!!!!!!!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

Zorb is not over rated. It was one of the best and most fun things we did on our trip. Can't wait til one opens up in the States so we can do it again.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must-dos in Rotorua

tks for your tip on the Zorb. I just checked it out on the web and will definitely do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)