We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua Itinerary-Help Needed

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
353 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Rotorua Itinerary-Help Needed

Hi,

We will be in Rotorua for 2 and a half days, 2 nights. I am just wondering does anyone know what is THE things to see and do there? Can you suggest an itinerary for us??? Please any help i would appreciate it thanks so much :)

Chuckenpen

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
563 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotorua Itinerary-Help Needed

Although Rotorua was not the highlight of our trip we did enjoy spending time at the Skyline Gondola & Luge. The views were nice but not dramatic like the south island. We had a blast on the luge.

I personally would not recommend Te Puia. We were extremely disappointed with this stop and felt it was a waste of money. Most of the landscape is bubbling mud pits and the geyser was tiny.

If you go to the Pig & Whistle pub be sure to get the burger but stay away from the nachos (horrible).

We really enjoyed the Waimangu Volcanic Valley which was about 20-30 minutes south of Rotorua. Even in the downpour, the landscape was lush and beautiful. The rain created lots of steam off of the thermal pools. Several of the pools were a brilliant blue green. We opted not to take the boat ride due to the high winds and rain. We stopped at Huka Falls before continuing to Taupo.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Te Puia
Te Puia
4,443 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Waimangu Volcanic Valley
Waimangu Volcanic Valley
1,146 Reviews
Waimangu, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Taupo District, New Zealand
Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotorua Itinerary-Help Needed

I would suggest the following:

Gondola & luge - just a few minutes out of the centre of town. Amazing views and the luge is great fun.

Orakei Koraka thermal reserve (about 20 minutes out of Rotorua towards Taupo) - also worth having a look at the Huka Falls whilst you are down that way.

Hells Gate thermal reserve which is about 5 minutes out of town is also great for seeing the thermal aspect of the area

If you want something a bit different, the Zorb is quite good fun (you get rolled down a hill in a huge plastic ball). This is next door to the Agrodome, which is a 'sheep experience' - you xcan watch shearing and feed lambs etc if you're into that.

Also, although it is very touristy, the evening Maori cultural evenings where you can go to a Marae, have some hangi food and see some Maori dancing etc are quite good fun, and Rotorua is the place to do that.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Taupo
Taupo
Taupo District, New Zealand
Hells Gate
Hells Gate
1,420 Reviews
Tikitere, New Zealand
Agrodome
Agrodome
1,286 Reviews
Ngongotaha, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,484 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rotorua Itinerary-Help Needed

Here I am again Chuck- This thread has quite afew suggestions for a visit to Rotorua.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k7345…

(just a small correction- Hells Gate is 25-30 minutes from town)

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Hells Gate
Hells Gate
1,420 Reviews
Tikitere, New Zealand
4. Re: Rotorua Itinerary-Help Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 17, 2009