We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

My husband and I will be taking a day trip from Auckland to Waitomo glowworm caves. We plan of driving down through Hamilton and is it worth driving across to go through Rotorua and the Waiotapu back towards Auckland? And what about Matamata?

We are not interested in Lord of the Rings/Hobbiton tour but want to see as much scenery as possible. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,321 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

Hi Jariley,

You have a full day with driving, plus your caves tour. No time for Rotorua or any of the thermal parks as well. You could return to Auckland through Kawhia and Raglan harbours though. Or stop off at Hamilton Gardens on the return to Auckland.

Also, around Waitomo there are several other interesting attractions, including Maropoka Falls and the Mangapohue natural bridge walk. Matamata is a pleasant rural centre, but it's major drawcard is Hobbiton.

Enjoy your day-trip.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

In Matamata is there a way to see the countryside without doing the Hobbiton tours? We want to get some good pictures but not interested in the Hobbiton tour. Thanks.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,742 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

I don't understand the question .. Of course you will see " the countryside" as you drive past, but it is not that different from the countryside between AKl & Waitomo Caves.

Look at the maths: Akl to Waitomo Caves is 200km or 2:30 hr each way; thus 5 hours driving + time for a tour or 2 + lunch etc + perhaps a quick stop at Hamilton Gardens or a stroll around Cambridge on the way home and you have an 8-10 hr day.

Akl to Waitomo Caves to Matamata to AKL is only 460km but AAmaps gives the driving time as 6:30hr so it will a tiring day for little gain that I can see.

California
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

You are not allowed in to Hobbiton unless you are taking a tour.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

So if we don't go on a Hobbiton tour is it not worth the time to drive through Matamata? I want to be efficient with our time but I don't want to miss any great views as I have heard how beautiful NZ is.

Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

I personally have not been to Matamata or Hobbiton. But I've never read anything about not-to-be-missed scenery around Matamata. I really think it's only known because of the Hobbiton set.

Now if you like a good hike to a waterfall around the area, I could recommend Wairere Falls. But between the drive and the hike, it's about 3 hours of your time.

Maybe if you posted your entire itinerary and interests, we could help you better. If you are heading for South Island after Rotorua, you can fly from there and not bother with the trip back to Auckland.

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

This helps, thanks so much.

We only have 2.5 days on the north island.

Day 1 Waiheke island wine tour

Day 2 waitomo glowworm caves

Last day were going to explore downtown Auckland before we fly out, maybe bungy the Auckland bridge.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,742 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

Some people like to continue past Waitomo to the Marakopa Falls about 30 Km past Waitomo Caves Village.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

It would be a very long day by the time you go to Waitomo Caves & do what you said you were going to do.

Why dont you come on over to Rotorua & stay in Rotorua & then spend a few days here as lots to see & do here. Then head back up thru Matamata to Auckland. Too much driving for one day.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
10. Re: Day trip from Auckland including Waitomo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 23, 2015