We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Auckland Rotorua !!

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
12 posts
Save Topic
Route from Auckland Rotorua !!

Hello Guys,

I'll be driving from Auckland to Rotorua this saturday. I could see multiple routes from AKl. So was wondering which is the safest to drive with an infant? But still not compromising on scenic drive:) May be some route with options to stop to settle baby (if required) :)

I am new to NZ , hence not much aware of the routes and safety.

Could anyone please suggest the best route to follow.

SH1 - Sh18 (avoiding hamilton)- SH1 - Sh5

SH1 - SH27 - SH5.

Cheers !!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Auckland Rotorua !!

There was a very recent thread on just this question - assuming you have to drive back to Auckland you can try both routes. My favourite for scenery is the SH1/SH 5 route either passing through Hamilton for a quick look at Hamilton gardens (free & right on SH1), or taking the bypass. OTH the SH1/2/27 route is perceived as being quicker. I find the Hauraki Plains quite boring. AAmaps actually shows the route through Hamilton as being 5 min quicker!!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Auckland Rotorua !!

The route that Zhuhai has suggested in more scenic than the alternative across the Hauraki Plains. Travelling with an infant there are more places and towns to stop if needed, including for refreshments.

Auckland Region...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Auckland Rotorua !!

cool. thank you so much guys.. I did try finding similar question but in vain.

Yup, i would be travelling back to Auckland. And i have plans to visit waitomo caves and then Hamilton while returning. I was under impression that area around Matamata would be more scenic (lord of rings..??

So considering more towns and scenic drive, I would stick to SH1-SH18-SH1-Sh5 from AKl - Rotorua .

Correct? and does this route has less traffic also?

Sorry, for my limited knowledge of the area. and for questions.. though :)

Cheers!!

4. Re: Route from Auckland Rotorua !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 22, 2015