We will be in Rotorua in April just after Easter (school holiday) and would like to see a thermal area which I think will entertain the kids especially my 5 year old (nearly 6) who loves everything about volcanoes and is very much into science at the moment.
We will only have one day and will be driving from Taupo. I was thinking about stoping at:
- Craters of the Moon on our way out from Taupo in the morning and go for a short walk there (1 hour)
- and then drive the thermal highway and stop at either:
- Te Puia for the combined Thermal and Cultural experience
- OR the Hidden Valley which seems to be a bit off the beaten track?
- or Wai-O-Tupe or Waimangi?
We would prefer one that is not too big, easily do-able with the kids, but also not too commercial if possible, we like going bushwalking and enjoying nature which is why I was thinking about going to the Hidden Valley?
On the other hand Te Puia sounds great too since we will have a small insight into the Maori Culture?
Hard to decide! Thanks for your tips.