We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

Hello,

It seems like these activities are available everywhere, North and South Island. Does anyone have any recommendations on where it is the best to do what? We will be all over both Islands, just trying to decide what to do where. We will be there in Aug. I hope this isn't too loaded of a question. ; )

Roo

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

Horse riding - I would suggest McKenzie Country. There are a couple of place near Lake Tekapo where you can do long or short horseriding excursions. The scenery around this area is amazing.

Jet boating - Huka Jet, at Huka Falls near Taupo

Hot Spas - Waiwera, just north of Auckland & Hanmer Springs near Kaikora, north of Christchurch.

These are just a few suggestions.....

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

Jet boating - well jet units were invented in the South Island to suit the braided rivers down here, so of course I'm going to recommend the South Island for jet boating. For thrils, you can't go past the Shotover Jet. Dart River Safari is a more scenic trip.

Caves - best commercially setup operation for straight caving is at Waitomo (and black water rafting), but for glow worms you also have the option of the trip at Te Anau

White water - August won't be warm... but there are good options for rafting etc based in Queenstown and Kaituna (Rotorua) also offers some good rafting.

Hot Pools - Lots from Waiwera, Waingaro (in the Waikato), Te Aroha, Hamner and Maruia Springs as well as the Rotorua and Taupo ones....

Horse riding - I would suggest the Tekapo one as well (the scenery is great), but I'm not sure if August is far enough out of the winter for them to be operating - they normally only operate in the summer months . I might have this wrong though - it would be worth contacting them: http://www.maht.co.nz/

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

It would be very hard to recommend one over another because as you say there are so many options available and most of them would be great experiences just in different areas of the country. They'll all be unique in their own way. Here are some suggestions for the Nth Island.

White water rafting- Kaituna River, the highest commercially rafted waterfall, grade 5, 50 min run- that should get your adrenalin going!

www.kaitunacascades.co.nz/kaituna.htm

Jetboat- Rapids Jet in Taupo www.rapidsjet.com

Ski- Whakapapa and Turoa Skifields on Mt Ruapehu on the Central Plateau

Hot Spas- Polynesian Spa in Rotorua or Hells Gate Spa

hellsgate.co.nz/Hells_Gate/…3568_.html

Horseback- there are many horse trekking locations in and around Rotorua. This one does not have a website- The Farmhouse, Sunnex Road, Rotorua (tel. 07/332-3771; farmhouse@xtra.co.nz), is the largest horse-trekking facility in New Zealand, with over 100 horses for all ages and abilities. It's a working farm and homestay as well, and all gear is provided. Here is a site that shows you locations all over NZ. www.truenz.co.nz/horsetrekking/

Cave- well this would have to be Waitomo and/or caves in the area, if you have the time ,do some of the other activities connected with the caves- blackwater rafting, abseiling, here's a site to see some of the things you can do in the area.

waitomo.org.nz/activities-and-attractions.asp

Hope this helps.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

Nettie, great minds think at the same time! I saw this yesterday and thought I must find it again and respond- you are obviously a faster typist though :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

PS- Nettie have you been at work again ;) I see our self-promotion geneva girl has been zapped! I was wondering how this query moved back onto the front page again.

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

New pikky Zappers? Obviously not a New Zealander...

No - not me this time for the Geneva girl - I actually thought the public shaming thing was quite a good approach.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

Well you know how it is..............

You pay peanuts you get monkeys!

8. Re: Where to jetboat,whitewater,ski,hot spas, horseback,cave?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 12, 2009