We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
375 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

We are spending 2 nights in Rotorua after coromandel peninsular and wondering if its better to travel to Waitomo to do the caves and sleep over in waitomo for i night before moving on to Lake Taupo OR is it better to spend 3 nights in Rotorua and do a day trip to the waitomo caves? How many hours drive from Rotorua to Waitomo ? What other activities are recommended for Waitomo?

We dont want to do black water tubing or abseilling

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

I hope you get an answer to this question as we are travelling in Feb.2014 and would like to know the same info.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,240 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

Whichever you chose is going to involve some zig-zagging. Assuming 3 nights are involved, perhaps Coromandel to Waitomo, followed by 2 nights & a full day in Rotorua. There is so much to do in ROT it seems a pity to lose that whole day just for 1 hour at the Caves.

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

In that case if we leave out waitomo all together and spend 3 nights in rotorua are there glow worm caves anywhere else between Auckland and Wellington that we could visit for a similar glow worm cave experience ?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,240 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

No, there are glowworm caves in/near Te Anau and glowworms are found all over NZ but there are very few commercially developed caves.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

Hi, I have been looking at this all day as I said in my last reply my husband and I are in NZ in Feb, 2014. After getting onto google maps we have now planned to go from Bay of Islands to Corramendel Coast, then from Whitangi to Hamilton (2hrs 25min drive) Stay overnight in Hamilton next morning go to Glow Worm Caves at Waitomo -45min.tour (1hour drive) then to Hobbit Town at Matamata -2hr tour (1hr drive) then go onto Rotorua (1hr drive). We are staying 2 nights at Rotorua (will see hot springs and got to Tamaki Village for tour & Hungi feast in the evening. From Rotorua then go to Taupo (1hr drive) stay overnight then we are heading to Wellington to go to South Island. Hope this is helpful for you.

California
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

If you will be anywhere near Tauranga, you could do the kayak/glowworm adventure that Waimarino offers. It has to be done at dusk, since it's not a cave.

Redland City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

We are heading over next week too. We will be in Coromandel 2 nts, doing the Hobbiton tour enroute to Rotorua and then going to Waitomo for an afternoon / overnight and back to Auckland next day. There is a lot to do and always hard to strike a balance between missing out on something for the sake of taking your time, and rushing & trying to fit too much in. Good luck with your decision making

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

It is possible to see some glow worms on the Mitai/ Rainbow Springs tour but if you are with a noisy group you will not see as many. You need to keep silent to view glow worms at their best. The Waitomo Caves experience is a memorable experience with thousands of little lights glowing on the walls of the cave. If time allows, visiting Ruakuri cave and the other experiences such as black water rafting are worthwhile.

theports, your plan for visiting several places is a good one.

9. Re: 2 or 3 nights in Rotorua with day trip to Waitomo Caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 24, 2014