We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion of Driving from Pahia to Rotorua

California
Level Contributor
217 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Opinion of Driving from Pahia to Rotorua

We will be in the Bay of Islands for a few days and our next stop is Rotorua. (March)

I was originally looking at a (night) stop over between the two but we'd rather spend extra time in Rotorua District and so skip the night break.

AA mileage Driving Times calculator tells me it would be 6 hr 10 min direct drive between the two places. Does this sound like ballpark timing? Is there something we'd really miss out on between if we took a direct drive?

Thanks!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
85 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Opinion of Driving from Pahia to Rotorua

March is a great time of year in the North Island. It is cool in the mornings and evenings but usually has beautiful settled days.

All of the above information is correct.

As your time is limited I would suggest just heading on south too.

There is a toll tunnel just north of Auckland with a one way toll of $4. Instead of paying this (although it is worth paying this if time is important) I would suggest taking the free route into Orewa. This is a good point to stop and stretch your legs. It is a nice little town with everything there. Get a coffee or go to the bakery then take a walk on the lovely beach. This will refresh you for the long motorway slog from here to the Bombay hills (this goes straight through Auckland and out the other side). I live in Auckland and love Auckland but I find this motorway stretch very l-o-n-g.

I hope you enjoy your time in NZ!

California
Level Contributor
217 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Opinion of Driving from Pahia to Rotorua

Thank you Bridget F. Great suggestions for how to enjoy a long drive!

13. Re: Opinion of Driving from Pahia to Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 18, 2014