We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

Hi...Can anyone give me a rough idea about driving to different attractions in Rotorua...we're going there in April 2013 & would rent a car from Auckland airport. We'll use the car to drive to most of the places & wanted to know if we can cover all the thermal & must see places without purchasing day tours? I'll be there for 7 days & would want cover as much as possible. What are the nearby cities that we can cover? Planning to go to Auckland for a day as our flight departs from there.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

With a car you don't need tours, except perhaps one of the evening cultural shows. Nice drives include Lake Tarwera, Buried Village (fee applies), Blue & Green Lakes. You can walk around Kuirau Park, Govt Gardens and the lakeshore free. A nice day trip might be to Lake Taupo to see Huka Falls and stop off at Wai-o-tapu enroute (Lady Knox Geyser "goes off" at 10:15 every day!).

Agrodome & Rainbow Springs are worth visiting.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

You could do a loop day tour to Tauranga by taking HW 36 (Pyes Pa Road)to Tauranga and spend some time at the beach Mt Maunganui/Papamoa. Return to Rotorua via Te Puke (kiwifruit) and SH 33.

You could also go to Whakatane and White Island. There are bus/helicopter/boat tours to White Island. (A bus leaves Rotorua early a.m. for this tour)

You will probably find plenty to keep you busy in Rotorua www.rotoruaNZ.com. The I site is always a good place to visit to pick up brochures and helpful advice.

By April it will be getting darker earlier as daytime is becoming shorter.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

Thank you for the response. Can we go to see the Hobbiton site without taking the tour? I don't mind if we've to pay fees to enter certain places. What about Waikite Valley Thermal pool & Waimangu Volcanic Valley? Can we drive to these places? Is it child friendly as I've got a 2 yrs old boy.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

You can drive to both Waiotapu and Waimungu. You can also drive to Hobbiton but you need to take a tour to visit the set.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

Yes, as long as you keep a very careful watch on your 2 y.o.the thermal sites are fine for children. There are hot pools for bathing at Waikite (near Waiotapu and several other attractions en route to Taupo.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

Thank you for your help. Now I'm waiting for my trip eagerly.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

Just a quick note, my family and I love visiting Rotorua. Everything is quite compact and great fun.

My youngest child however has a problem with the smell. Depending on where you are, the smell of sulphur can sometimes be quite strong. I love it. It smells like boiled eggs and when you smell it in the future it will remind you forever of Rotorua.

My husband is from Rotorua and he can hardly smell it ( they get accustomed to it).

If your children like eggs, no problem, but if not, be prepared for the occasional screwed up face :-)

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

The Aratiatia rapids are also worth seeing. They are close to Taupo.

greatlaketaupo.com/new-zealand/…

9. Re: Self Drive attractions in Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 17, 2014