We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hamurana country estate

maine
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hamurana country estate

Has anyone stayed at this bed and breakfast or is anyone familiar with it? If so, thoughts? Thanks.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hamurana country estate

No I haven't stayed at it but am familiar with it's location as we drive past it on a regular basis to and from Tauranga (short cut route, only 40 minutes by car to Mount Maunganui). It's in a lovely location and looks very grand. It's only 5-10 mins from a lot of the Rotorua tourist spots ie Fairy Springs, Sheepdome, Luge, Cablecar etc. And if you trout fish then you are right where the action is- there are many streams entering Lake Rotorua at Hamurana and a huge fresh water spring. I don't think you will be dissappointed.

maine
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hamurana country estate

Thank you Zappers. Is there somewhere else you would recommend staying in the area that maybe is less "grand",but still very comfortable. Also, we are coming from Auckland and have five nights to spend in the region before returning to Auckland to fly to Australia. We are a family of four with two active children (12 and 14). Do you have any recommendations as to how best to divide up the five nights? We do not want to spend the entire time in the car. And do you know if the Hobbiton tours are worthwile? Thanks so much. Susan

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hamurana country estate

I'm not sure it's that grand, it just looks it from the road, must be the Tudor style. Sorry, can't recommend anywhere else having never needed to stay in Rotorua. If you find another property let me know and I may know about it. I'm sure it will be fine though, especially with kids- farmland, animals all around. You would need at least 3 nights (2 full days) to sample all Rotorua has to offer, especially with teenagers, there is so much to do and allowing time for a breather or two in there as well.

Can't comment on Hobbiton tours never having done one, but if you are LOR fan then it would be a shame to not do it and Matamata is on the way to Rotorua.

Ideas for the other days;

Taupo- 1 hour south- thermal area, mountains, trout fishing.

Tauranga/Mt Maunganui- 40 mins east, dolphin watching,white water rafting,charter fishing, white sand beaches, Kiwifruit country, parasailing, blokarting (do you get the feeling I'm plugging for here :-).

Waitomo caves-2 hours west- glowworm caves, blackwater rafting.

Coromandel Pennisula- Whitianga, holiday beaches, native bush, beautiful scenery.

You could stay overnight in any of these areas (maybe not Waitomo & Matamata) fill in the day and still drive to Auckland without overdoing it.

maine
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hamurana country estate

Zappers, Our thought is to drive from Auckland to the Coromandel Peninusula and spend two evenings in the Paunanui Beach area. Any recommendations as to activities do there? Will it be warm enough to swim? We will then head to Rotorua for three evenings. Do we need to book activities before we arrive? What would be your top five? Thanks so much. Susan

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hamurana country estate

You're here in July right? The middle of our winter. It will be too bl**dy cold for swimming :) and as Pauanui is a summer holiday resort I'm not sure there will be too much to do other than maybe beachcombing & bushwalking. If you're into fishing maybe a charter boat but then you are reliant on the weather again. All of the Coromandel will be a bit sleepy but if you do want to go, Whitianga is probably better, at least you can go to Hot Water Beach, dig yourself a hole in the sand and have a soak- check the tides though. There is also Cathedral Cove walking track and a few more eating places open.

Rotorua-Cultural/Tourist:Tamaki Bros, any one of the Thermal areas (use the search above for which one will appeal), Polynesian Spa- thermal pools to warm up, Agrodome, Fairy Springs(see a kiwi) the list goes on and on.......

Fun time-Gondolas, Luge(huge fun), Zorbing

The only one you shld probably book for if doing is the Tamaki Village, good reports on this.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255111-d2…

Hope this helps, come back for any more questions.

maine
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hamurana country estate

OK, You have successfully persuaded me not to head to the Coromandel. Tauranga sounds good, although is there enough to do if we spend two nights there? Any recommendations for places to stay? Thanks.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hamurana country estate

Well now you got me thinking, this is hard you know, organising someone's holiday! What I like may be totally different to what your family like. All I can do is pass on ideas, you have to make the final decisions.

Again, because it is the middle of winter you will be limited on activiries in Tauranga, do a google on Tauranga or on any of the things listed above. There is still a lot of outdoor activities to do but maybe just a night would cover it.

What things as a family do you like to do? then maybe I can advise you a bit better.

maine
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hamurana country estate

You're not our travel agent? Only kidding. We are an active family and will try almost anything. During our brief stay in the North Island, we would like to be adventurous, while soaking in the culture/uniqueness of NZ. As you know, we will be staying three nights in Rotuara. We would rather only stay one additional place for our remaining two nights. Since it seems as though swimming is out (although we do live in Maine where the water is freezing), I am now leaning towards Lake Taupo where we will be able to jetboat, hike, visit the thermal spa. On the way to Auckland we will then be able to visit the Waitomo Caves. Sound like a plan? Thank again for all your help. I see that the cat changed. Any reason?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hamurana country estate

I am now leaning towards Lake Taupo where we will be able to jetboat, hike, visit the thermal spa. On the way to Auckland we will then be able to visit the Waitomo Caves. Sound like a plan?

Just to keep you on your toes and to make sure you're paying attention! :) No, a TAer from another forum and I have a thing about cats and she has been waiting for me to show her my other "baby" so here he is!

I think the Taupo idea is a good one, especially the jetboating, the kids will enjoy that one! Go to watch the gates open on the Aratiatia Dam (daily, check the times)if you get a chance it's quite scary seeing the volume of water that rushes past.

There are great thermal pools for families AC Baths & DB Bretts, after a long day a soak in the evening is bliss. Acacia Bay is a nice place to visit or drive down towards Turangi to see "the picket line", fishermen trout fishing all in a line at the mouth of the rivers. Turangi and Tongariro National Park have some wonderful walks.

On the drive to Taupo from Rotorua is Rainbow Mountain- cliffs of coloured rock- there's a good walking track located there. Also just on from Rainbow Mt some shingle roads lead off to the left- you will find lakes of bubbling mud and steam, surrounded by bush and open to the public. There is also a hot water stream, the locals and those in the know use to swim in. All good fun and FREE! No sign posts though you just have to know where to turn.

Waitomo is also a good idea and you'll have plenty of time to go there on your way back to Auckland.

Done!! that will be US$500 thank you. :0)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hamurana country estate

Ignore that 1st paragraph forgot to delete it....b*gger!