We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Facilities suitable for solitary and silent retreat?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Facilities suitable for solitary and silent retreat?

I am looking for a place outside of Rotorua to recharge and refresh after a very challenging year in Christchurch, where I work as a social worker. I'm planning a self-directed spiritual retreat. I'd like a quiet, self-contained accommodation or room away from town affording at least some privacy near nature and thermal pools. If possible, I'd like any television or radio removed and no WiFi!

Can anyone suggest a suitable place? My dates are from 30 April to 4 May. I would also appreciate information about airport transfer options to the accommodation as I do not plan to have a car and will bring my own food.

1. Re: Facilities suitable for solitary and silent retreat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:21 pm, March 02, 2012
2. Re: Facilities suitable for solitary and silent retreat?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:22 pm, March 02, 2012
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Facilities suitable for solitary and silent retreat?

Sounds like you want a holiday house - while most owners are proud of having TV and radio and the like, I'm sure you could ask them nicely to remove for you. Something like this property sounds like it would do the trick:

www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/21333.asp

They have a very useful map locator so you can pick your cottage according to how remote it is.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Facilities suitable for solitary and silent retreat?

Thank you for this advice. I've looked at the property you suggested and it looks promising. Any one know of a retreat or other centre with a lay or religious retreat director who might be willing to give me a few hours over the time there (followed by a koha, of course)? I'm open to eclectic approaches and I'm 32 years into recovery.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Facilities suitable for solitary and silent retreat?

You could ask these people if they know anyone:

nzfishing.com/FlyFishingEventsAndCompetition…

They run fly-fishing spiritual retreats for victims of breast cancer - not your thing, I know, but they'll probably know the local spiritual terrain. Good luck.

6. Re: Facilities suitable for solitary and silent retreat?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, June 13, 2013