We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Hi, I was wondering what driving to Rotorua from Auckland would be like in the late aftenoon? I will arrive in Auckland at 4pm on a Thursday, and am trying to weigh out the options. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

OskarNZ you have just read my mind lol, I'm sitting here thinking I'm going to get lost, i'm going to get lost!!!

We are traveling this route this January, travelling with 3 kids, and will make sure we have a gps........

Rene

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Hi Rene,

Please don't worry. :-)

There are lot's of routes, but they're all signposted, so it's difficult to get lost. Also a GPS, while not necessary, is always quite a good thing to have on you.

I guess it's nice to have some choice. A lot of people like going via Matamata as they're interested in visiting Hobbiton and the country roads are arguably prettier. I like my route because while the first third of the trip is not, IMO, very scenic they are very good roads (double laned much of the way) meaning easy passing of trucks and slow vehicles.

My only recommendation is that unless you have a particular want to see Hamilton (it does have a great zoo and botanical gardens), it's best to try to avoid going through it. It's quite a big city to pass through and it slows your journey down considerably.

Also, incase you're interested, I've tried using my GPS to Rotorua, and it does divert me away from Hamilton.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Thank you, need all the info I can get :)

Rene

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

LOL at giant sheep shop... did the exact drive Tuesday this week, was very easy. Do it, you won't have any issues.

15. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 am, June 20, 2013