We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Auckland to Rotorua

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Auckland to Rotorua

Hi all,

I'm flying mid August to Auckland and from there will drive to Rotorua. I will arrive around 11:30 am, but was wondering what the best way to drive?! I can either take highway 1 all the way to Hamilton and then continue to Rotorua, or take off street 1 at Pokeno and take streets 2 and 27.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,893 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Auckland to Rotorua

If your aim is to get to Rot ASAP then take highway 27. However it is uninteresting, unless you want to stop at Hobbiton (near Matamata). A third, longer route is viaWaaitomo Caves. If you take the Hamilton route (SH1 all the way to near Tirau) you can stop off at Hamilton Gardens, which are superb.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Auckland to Rotorua

Better still take SH2 via Waihi, Katikati, Tauranga, Mt Maunganui & Te Puke, the Scenic Coastal route. Lots of great scenery, small town NZ and diverse land & sea-scapes along the way.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Auckland to Rotorua

Thanks Guys! Much appreciated.

SH2 is a good idea. Its a longer way but perhaps I can see more things.

Let's see how I go with the weather when I get there.

Cheers

4. Re: Driving from Auckland to Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, October 09, 2012