We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

I

My friend and I, two women, one mid 60s and one early 70s, will be arriving on a cruise in late October. We will be in port from 8 am-8 pm. and from what I've read, I think we should go to Waiotapu. I'm wondering if we should also do Waimangu or spend the rest of the day in town. What do you think and what would you suggest we see if we do only Waiotapu?

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

The Rotorua Museum is well worth visiting if you want to know something about features of Rotorua; there is the old bath house, audio-visual show of the eruption of Mt Tarawera; maori heritage and the Maori Battalion; the Tower with views over the gardens, croquet & bowling greens & Rotorua city.

If you want to walk then visiting both Waiotapu & Waimungu would be excellent.

Have a look at www.rotoruanz.com to see other activities such as the Sheep Show and Farm Tour at the Agrodome.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,869 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

How will you be getting to/from Rotorua? Do you have to pre-plan and book a tour this early or will you be renting a car. I would suggest you plan as you go. Waiotapu takes 90 minutes if you do the whole walk. Definitely recommend the Agrodome and Polynesian Pools as a wet weather option and Rainbow Springs if it is fine.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

Depending on how you are getting to Rotorua from the cruise ship(you would need to hire a car to do what I'm suggesting) I would do only Waiotapu and spend the rest of the time in Rotorua, there is so much to see in and around the city, it would be a shame to miss the Maori culture aspect of the city . Waimungu is one of the biggest geothermal parks and you'd have to do quite a bit of walking, Waiotapu is more compact and has a great variety of features. Both these parks are about 20-30 minutes south of Rotorua so that would be at least a 90 minute drive from your ship.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

Thank you for your suggestions. That certainly sounds like an afternoon's worth and a good introduction to New Zealand and the Maori culture.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

We went to China last year, but this is the first cruise where we have to decide on our excursions, so I have no idea how far in advance we need to book. I imagine mobs of cruise passengers in each port and booked tours. It seems that there must be some kind of transportation available from the port into Rotorua and I thought geyserlink might be a possibility. I'll check with them. Thanks for your wet-weather suggestions. I'm hoping the spring rains will be mostly over by the time we arrive.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

Thanks for your suggestion too that there is enough to do in Rotorua for half a day. I think I'll look into some independent tours and see what they would cost. The ship tours are all very involved and very expensive and many of the stops sound too touristy.

Maybe I can find out from some other cruises how they got into town and back and then take geyerlink to Waiotapu. I'm just having a hard time believing that you can't get from the port into Rotorua at a reasonable price and without renting a car. Someone is missing a great opportunity.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

Have a look at www.grumpyslimo.co.nz.

There are several companies operating tours from Tauranga. Archers tours cater for small groups. Google cruise ship tours Tauranga, New Zealand and see the options available.

Rotorua is one hour's drive from the port of Tauranga.

Lady Knox geyser at Waiotapu plays once a day at 10.15a.m. To arrive in time to see this, you would need to leave port no later than 8 a.m.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

The port is in Tauranga/Mt Maunganui a totally different city to Rotorua which is an hour's drive away(inland). There are plenty of tours leaving from the port for Rotorua and also tours that do the coastal areas and Tauranga/MtM. A lot are booked by the ship but there are smaller independant tours that you can take. You'dl still be taken to the tourist spots though so you'd have to book a private tour to do a visit that included what you wanted to see. I'll post some links shortly for you.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

itrails.co.nz/Indigenous-Trails/…16523_.html

http://www.carltontours.co.nz/

http://www.mctours.co.nz/cruise_ships.html

http://www.adventurebop.co.nz/Our+Tours/Cruise+Ship+Tours.html

archertours.co.nz/cruise-ship-shore-excursio…

http://www.taurangataxis.co.nz/services/tours

supatravelexpress.co.nz/Supa-Travel-Express/…

That should keep you going! :)

Edited: 5:25 pm, July 06, 2010
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 am-8pm Waiotapu & Waimangu or spend rest of day in Rotorua

Try this link for the one that didn't show up above-

http://www.adventurebop.co.nz