We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

san francisco
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

I'm interested in going to Rotura mainly because the Maori culture seems interesting. What are recommended activities in Rotura with relation to the Maori culture (not lectures and not museums). I would like to meet them and see their way of life if possible? Also let me know if you have been to the Whakarewarewa Village. Can I go there without a tour?

Thank you!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

Ladies your superior knowledge on Rotorua can help out this Wellingtonian. ( I will deny in any future ravings that I ever said this). Isnt Ohinemutu Village the home patch of the late Sir Howard Morrisson and wasnt his funeral held there on the marae and concluded in the Church before he left for the cemetary.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

You are correct Bean and what a service it was too! I won't go into the superior aspects.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

There are some Morrisons in the funeral crypts in front of the church but I didn't see Sir Howards(although I had to leave before the search was concluded, husbands! *rolls her eyes*) Val do you know if his crypt is there? And for those that are unaware the crypts are all above ground because of the geothermal activity underneath.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

Zappers, Howie if I remember is buried at Ngongotaha Ceremony.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

Yes I think you're right Bean, that rings a bell. And I bet it was a ceremony at the cemetery! :)

Edited: 7:19 pm, June 22, 2010
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

They stopped the live telecast as the cortege left Ohinimutu. He was quite a Kiwi Icon. RIP

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

The cemetery is the Kauae Cemetery on the slopes of Mt Ngongotaha.

He certainly gave enjoyment to many with his music.

Explora061 you might enjoy listening to some of Sir Howard Morrison's music. There are some good CDs available. His songs such as "My Old Man's an All Black" were very popular on the hit parades of the 1960's.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

Whaka is the real deal ... Te Puia is fine, but too much Disneyland going on there, kind of makes it feel too touristy. At Whaka, its more personal and meaningful.

19. Re: Maori and Whakarewarewa Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 23, 2010