We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Shopping in Rotorua

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
382 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Shopping in Rotorua

We are in Rotorua this weekend on a promotional trip, the only time we have free is a couple of hours in the afternoon, about 3 til 5pm. We are leaving our 3 little piglets (kids) at home this trip, so they have given us a shopping list of their favourite NZ goodies. Top of the list are Perkynana's, Choc Mallow fish, Pinkies and L&P.

I'm wondering if the shops/supermarkets are open that late on Saturdays? We are staying at Rydges, can we walk into town or to a supermarket in a reasonable time frame or can we grab a taxi? Himself is also very fond of Rodd & Gunn and Line 7, and I am still sulking on missing out buying my Happy Hens last time I was in NZ so were wondering what our chances were for picking them up this time?

Can't wait to get back to Rotorua, (even though we have no time for ourselves)....love the place!

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Shopping in Rotorua

Hi,

Great to read you love Rotorua and hope after this weekend you will continue to return.

Supermarkets are open until well after 5p.m. so no worries there. The retailers usually close 4.30 on a Saturday. Not many men's retailers for himself and I am sorry but I do not know where you would get Happy Hens.You could try the souvenir shop next to the I Site in Fenton Street.

Rydges to Fenton/Tutanakei main retail area is quite a walk but you should be able to get a taxi easily if you are running short of time. Pak n Save is on Fenton Street as is Rydges.

Hope you have time for a bit of pampering at the Polynesian Spa (open late) or an evening of entertainment at Mitai & Rainbow Springs (Combo tour). Have fun!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
382 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Shopping in Rotorua

Thanks ValGee,

Himself and my Happy Hens may have to wait until we get back for a longer stay, hopefully later in the year.

As long as I can do the kids shopping and grab a few bottles of NZ Wine at the Pak and Save we should be right. Hope they are stocked up on Perky Nanas and L&P! Otherwise the 3 little pigs really will go troppo!

Thanks again.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Shopping in Rotorua

Can I just mention that my local Coles supermarket in Sydney now has an NZ 'stand'. It sells L&P so why would you bother lugging L&P back from Rotorua? (I'd save the weight for NZ wine!).

FYI: Coles have a range of Bluebird Chips including Rashuns, and Griffins biscuits, Arataki honey etc.

Last time in NZ I had great difficulty finding baby chocolate fish in the supermarkets so good luck with your Perky Nanas!

Have a great weekend!

4. Re: Weekend Shopping in Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, November 01, 2010