We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinary for 5 nights in North Island - advice please

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinary for 5 nights in North Island - advice please

Hi Was just after a bit of advice and info.

We are booked to fly into Auckland for 5 nights in early feb. My plan at the moment is to spend 2 nights in Auckland, then hire a car and drive to Rotorua for 2 nights which we will use as a base to explore the thermal areas/buried village. Then drive back to Auckland via Waitomo caves for a final night in Auckland before flying to Fiji the next afternoon.

Does this sound ok for the itinary.... am I missing something major I need to add? Never really driven outside the UK before so hope this would not be too much driving?

Thanks for the help xx

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinary for 5 nights in North Island - advice please

The driving time and distance for your trip are easily managed, Rotorua is just a 3 hour drive from Auckland, and your return trip via Waitomo is an easy days drive also. NZ roads are excellent with much less traffic than you are accustomed to.

There are numerous attractions in the Rotorua area that will keep you more than occupied for two days, likewise Auckland, so to cram in anything else for your 5 day stay would in MHO be too much of a rush for you to enjoy everything at leisure. My only suggestion is that you may wish to keep open the possibility of an extra night in Rotorua at Aucklands expense. Its Stacked with local culture/attractions and is a very scenic part of the country.

Just to change the subject, as you are from Berks, i wonder if you have any input on my desire to Narrow boat the Oxford canal? PM me if so

Thanks

Derek

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinary for 5 nights in North Island - advice please

Just to give you an idea of the range of activities and sightseeing available in Rotorua have a look at www.rotoruaNZ.com.

Try to include an evening at Mitai, Te Po or Tamaki for an insight into Maori culture. A hangi dinner served as a buffet is included in the cost.

Riverjet have just announced a changed departure time to Orakei Korako Thermal area to allow visitors to leave Rotorua early morning, walk around Waiotapu Thermal Valley (opens 8.30a.m.), view the Lady Knox geyser erupt at 10.15 a.m.and still have time to drive to where the Riverjet departs now at 11.00a.m.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinary for 5 nights in North Island - advice please

Hi

Your itinerary is fine. Auckland to Rotorua is about a 3 hour drive. As you are no doubt aware we drive on the left here like in the UK so no issue there.However we do have some rather quirky turning left and right rules and you may wish to take a look at:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/overseasdrivers/

If you can fit it in then I would try to get to Taupo - an hour and bit drive from Rotorua. Taupo and the surrounding area is just superb – great views over the lake towards the Tongariro National Park, good places to eat and stay and lots to do and see.

Have a wonderful 5 or 6 days.

4. Re: Itinary for 5 nights in North Island - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 22, 2010