We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting hot water beach from Rotorua to Auckland?

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
256 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
visiting hot water beach from Rotorua to Auckland?

Hi, Can anyone comment on the doability of a visting the Hot Water Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula leaving from Rotorua with the need to get to Auckland by 6.30pm?

I have checked the low tide time and it is 12 midday on the day we would be visiting so I am hoping that fits in perfectly.

I see mention that you need to take a shovel and bucket. Is it possible to hire these locally?

Also, I note that some of the postings around the hot water beach say that it can get quite crowded. Is this likely to be the case on October 2nd (during NZ school holidays)?

thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting hot water beach from Rotorua to Auckland?

While there will be extra people around during school holidays it will be nowhere near as crowded as you may be expecting. Maybe 30 people instead of 10.

Hot Water Beach is not commercialized what so ever it's a small beachside settlement so you won'y find any bucket and shovels. Maybe visit the Warehouse and purchase some cheap ones.

It will take you at least 3.5 hrs to get there and then at least another 3 to drive to Auckland if you travel back down the peninsula(covering the same road) and cross over to Thames. If you go up and over the Peninsula and down the west side it could take 4.5-5 hours to drive to Auckland.

I'm not sure it's worth all the effort just to get a chill and a sandy bum. Yes it's fun, yes it's a beautiful beach(on the right day), yes it's a long way to drive to experience something that you could do in Rotorua. There is a Hot Water Beach on the other side of Lake Tarawera, reachable only by boat- there are tours. Here there are small rock pools that fill with hot water and you can also dig in the sand and reach hot water and what's more you don't have to wait for low tide! :)

thelandinglaketarawera.co.nz/Presentation/…

melbourne
Level Contributor
256 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting hot water beach from Rotorua to Auckland?

Thanks for the response. My wife has a kiwi friend who said she really enjoyed visiting the hot water beach and thus the reason for the question.

Based upon the postings I have read, it doesn't sound as though it is a must do.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting hot water beach from Rotorua to Auckland?

Here are some of my Hot Water beach photos 50-53(if I recall rightly), you can see it's a nice beach on a sunny day.

tripadvisor.com/…1735100

It would be great if you had 2-3 days in the area and then it'd be well worth visiting but just for an hour or so I don't think it's worth the driving.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting hot water beach from Rotorua to Auckland?

If you can't get to Coromandel area and are going to Waitomo there is also hot water Springs at the beach in Kawhia- (West Coast- south of Raglan)

Te Puia Springs- You'll need a shovel and have to go at low tide,

Accommodation providers will lend you a shovel if you stay with them

5. Re: visiting hot water beach from Rotorua to Auckland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, March 05, 2010