We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

We plan to stay in Rotorua for two nights in mid December. We would like to find a very nice place, perhaps a luxury hotel or lodge or house. These will be our last two nights in New Zealand before departing from Rotorua Airport and back to the US. It does not need to be in the center of town. We will have a car. We have read about sulfur smells, so we’d like to try to avoid that in the place we stay if possible. We would prefer a nice view. We are really not interested in the spa facilities. Some we have considered are Astelia Lodge, Wai Ora, The Regal Palms Five Star City Resort, Nicara. We would really appreciate some advice about which would be our best choice – or another recommendation.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

I have not stayed at any of these but they are all very comfortable. The closest to town is Regal Palms. Astelia and Nicara Lodges are a little way out of town but I have met the hosts and am sure they will look after you well. Breakfasts at these two are sure to be very good. Have a look at the websites and this should show what will best suit your needs. If you are still unsure check out T/A reports and you could also look at www.rotoruaNZ.com. If you were looking for a house consider www.broekhaven.co.nz and www.inglenook.co.nz. Both these are a little way out of town but on lifestyle blocks with farm animals.

Enjoy Rotorua.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

How about Treetops?

http://www.treetops.co.nz/

Well you did say luxury......

You can not avoid sulphur smells in Rotorua, it's what the town is all about. Breath in and enjoy or hope it doesn't rain(that's when it's at it's strongest) At least you'll take home a lasting impression of NZ with you.....in more ways than one ;)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

Thank you for your suggestions. We are busily studying all of the ideas you shared with us.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

Your answer was one I thought I might get! Treetops looks outstanding, but it's a little too luxurious for my wallet! I was hoping for another suggestion that was just a bit more affordable!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

You are in a similar position to us who are traveling mostly in November but staying in Rotorua for the last couple of days in the beginning of December. we looked at Broekhaven but they were booked when we were interested in staying. We finally found this place which you may be interested in. Have a nice trip.

http://www.nzfarmvacation.com/

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

The Farm looks lovely, but we don't have the minimum three days available, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

Momtofour,

I haven't been yet as I'm also planning my December trip as well... I'm staying two days in Rotorua. I did narrow down to two properties includling Regal Palms but choose WaiOra Resort Lakside Spa Resort. WaiOra is just a little bit further from Rotorua from what I understand but I don't mind as we'll have a car. I choose this one because I like the lakeside location because of view, it's a newer property and rooms look quite nice. Their restaruant is also highly regarded from this forum so in all - that is what I'm primarily interested in (nice views - nice rooms and good restaurant - spa facilities is not really at the top of my list :)) - In a nutshell, it seems to be highly regarded on this forum as is Regal Palms...

Just my two cents for someone who hasn't been just yet :)

Enjoy your trip!

Lorio

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

We are only staying in Rotorua for two nights and they agreed to rent the house to us for just two nights. They encouraged us to stay longer, but that was all the time we had in that area. If you're interested, just ask especially if you two nights are midweek instead of over a weekend. We are staying Monday and Tuesday night.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

We appreciate your advice - both of you. Thank you. We will follow up!

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
152 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a nice place to stay in Rotorua in December

Hi momtofour,

Haven't actually stayed at Wai Ora but have dined at their restaurant. It was one of the finest dining experiences we had in NZ, so even if you stay elsewhere, treat yourselves to something special, the service is also impeccable.