We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Conundrum

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Conundrum

This might seem weird, but that's why I'm asking, because I don't know if it's weird or not. I'm considering staying at the Novotel Lakeside or Wai Ora Resort for 2 or 3 nights in early July. The resort is a bit more expensive and sounds nice, but at least from their website, I can't really tell if it's worth it. Does anyone have first hand knowledge that might enlighten me?

On a related note, should I spend my last night in Rotorua before flying out at 4PM from Auckland, or should I spend the last night in Auckland itself?

Would REALLY appreciate the help.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Conundrum

How are you planning to travel from Rotorua to Auckland?

The Novotel Lakeside gets good reviews on here.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Conundrum

They've both received pretty good reviews it looks like. I'm hoping to get a local opinion.

We'll be driving between Rotorua and Auckland.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Conundrum

If you want a hotel close to restaurants, shopping and many of the local attractions then the Novotel would be more suitable. If you are not worried about being a few kilometres out of town and are happy to eat at the same place each day, the Wai Ora resort would meet your needs.

You could easily find plenty to do/see in Rotorua for three days however if you have not spent time in Auckland before, the views over Auckland from the Skytower are great and there are several other places worthy of a visit.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Conundrum

It seems I'm completely unable to make up my mind about where to stay. Currently I've landed on Catelli's in Taupo. If we were to attend a hangi, say at Mitae, would we be travelling back to Taupo late at night, and would that be safe?

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Conundrum

The road between Rotorua and Taupo is safe easy driving but I really think you would be better to stay that night in Rotorua if you do an evening concert and dinner there.

Taupo also has a Maori village with an evening concert and hangi dinner. Not open every night though. You would need to send an email and ask for the night you will be in Taupo. website is www.wairakeiterraces.co.nz.

Tamaki Maori Village is between Rotorua and Taupo.

About a 40 minute drive from Taupo

www.maoriculture.co.nz They also do a great show and hangi.

Halifax,England
Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Conundrum

Hi there,

We have just come back from NZ and had our last night in Rotorua, we were going to stay at the Novotel but our inlaws wanted to stay somewhere else. On arriving we visited the Novotel, it looked nice and was in a super location, I wish we had stayed there - great for eating out and by the lake. Taupo is quite a drive in the other direction if you were thinking of going up to Auckland the day after. We drove from Rotorua to Auckland it took about 4 hours steady driving in good weather.

Have a good trip which ever you decide to do.

7. Re: Hotel Conundrum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 25, 2009