We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Active volcano

Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Active volcano

I would like to visit an active volcano near Rotorua on a low budget. White Island may be too expensive. Are there any alternatives? Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Active volcano

The Tongariro National Park, south of Taupo might be your best bet- it has 3 active volcanoes- Ruapehu, Tongariro, and Ngarahoe, they are all within reach if you are of above average fitness, you could do the Tongariro Alphine Crossing (one of the "Great Walks" of NZ)depending on the time of the year you are visiting. The park is about 1.75 hours south of Rotorua, catch a regular bus to Taupo then a specific bus to the mountains.

www.doc.govt.nz/templates/PlaceProfile.aspx…

http://www.nationalpark.co.nz/

It would be great if you can manage White Island though I think the experience is more extreme and dramatic. It's also alot easier to access the volcanic area as you don't have to climb very far to be in the heat of it (no pun intended :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Active volcano

Thanks zappers...we have a hire car so we could get there no problem. 2 adults and 2 kids (1 adult of well below average fitness) so we will need to either drop 1 person from the trip or find an easy option!

White Island looks spectacular but it looks like trips are near $300 per person, maybe 275, not sure now, but makes it a bit expensive times 4. I don't think we can do a trip the White Island any less expensive way or it would be my first choice.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Active volcano

Hi

There is some interesting information on New Zealand volcanoes and photos at:

virtualoceania.net/newzealand/…

Be aware that whilst Mt Tongariro, Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Ruapehu are active rarely would you see obvious signs of volcanic activity. Mt Ruapehu had some spectacular eruptions as recently as 1995 and 1996 which if I recall rather spoiled the ski season. I remember being in Taupo overnight at the time and in the morning the car was covered with a fine film of ash. Mt Ngauruhoe last erupted in 1972. So don't goo withe expectation of seeing plumes of smoke and steam belching forth. White Island is the place where there is such obvious volcanic activity.

There are of course other places where you can see thermal activity particularly of course around Rotorua. I would recommend Hells Gate:

www.hellsgate.co.nz

Kurau Park in Rotorua itself is worth a visit – plenty of steam and bubbly mud – and it is free.

If you are between Taupo and Rotorua then you may also enjoy the natural hot pools at Kerosene Creek or the Secret Place (Google Waiotapu Loop Road) – they are also free.

Enjoy your visit.

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Active volcano

The Taupo Float plane is the best way to see the Tongariro National Park volcanic zone. Cost $295. Adult. $147.00 child.

They also do flights to White Island but that is more expensive.

Website is www.taupofloatplane.co.nz

Between Rotorua and Taupo. Visit Orakei Korako.

Known as the hidden valley and described by Lonely Planet guide as being one of the finest thermal areas left in the world

www.arakeikorako.co.nz

You may also be interested in visiting The Volcanic Activity Centre in Taupo. The kids will love the earthquake simulator. www.volcanoes.co.nz

Plenty of information there on White Island and Taupo Volcanoes.

Taupo Hot Springs Spa maybe of interest if you would like to soak in hot thermal waters. www.taupohotsprings.com

Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Active volcano

Thanks lonekaurilodge, tons of info for me. All I need now is more hours in the day and I will be happy! There is so much to see and do. I can hardly wait!

Thanks also to gaye for the info. I think I will have to take the kids to the earthquake simulator. It looks cool.

Also I noticed that I had my info incorrect about White Island. The cost is actually $175 per person ($120 for kids) so the price is not as steep as I thought. That is for the boat ride and tour of White Island. Includes lunch too! So I am considering that as we like the look of that volcano.

Thanks so much for all this info.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Active volcano

When you think of seeing an active volcano, what are you actually thinking of? If it is oozing lava, as in Hawaii, then we don't have anything like that here - our volcanoes are a different sort.

White Island is definitely the most spectacular of our active volcanoes - the others are not very active, and while they are certainly worth visiting, they will not give you much in the way of volcanic activity to see.

If you are looking for "evidence" of the power that lies underground, then any of the thermal areas around Rotorua will give you that - boiling mud, geysers, hot springs, limestone terracing etc.

Superficially, White Island is fairly similar as a matter of fact. A super-hot crater lake/pond, totally barren ground, sulphur deposits; but it is unique and fascinating to visit. And being an island means that even getting there is fun.

You mention that one of the adults is below-average fitness. I went there a couple of years ago, and that description also fitted me. Very overweight, with arthritis in my knees, I was not sure how I would handle it, and was prepared to just stay by the helecopter if neccesary )we were fortunate enough to go by helicopter, not boat). But once htere I found I could manage ok. I had a walking stick with me, and that was invaluable. There are slopes but they are quite small and not too steep. Visitors usually do a circuit around the site, but be aware that you cannot just walk off on your own from most parts, if you have had enough and want go back to the boat. But the guides are very accommodating and the pace is slow because everyone wants to stop and look at things all the time!

Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Active volcano

I wouldn't like to be on any of NZ's volcanic mountains when they erupt. White Island might be your best bet, otherwise, consider a trip to Vanuatu in the future, and visit Mt.Yasur on Tanna Island, there you can walk around the rim of a volcano, that is actually erupting at the time. Quite spectacular at night.

8. Re: Active volcano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:22 am, October 09, 2009