We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay of Islands Snorkelling

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bay of Islands Snorkelling

Locals: If you wanted to drive to the best snorkelling spots in the Bay of Islands, where would you go? We're going to be up there next week and have a car and snorkelling gear. Cheers!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay of Islands Snorkelling

Poor knights islands off Tutukaka is best snorkelling in NZ. Dive Tutukaka has trips out there. Amazing caves, marine life and an awesome trip. Goat Island is accessible off the beach, but doesnt have the same marine life as Poor knights.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,517 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay of Islands Snorkelling

Tutukaka coast and the offshore Poor Knights Islands are located in the Whangarei district.

For Bay of Islands snorkelling, go to Urupukapuka island, by cruise or a boat trip from Paihia. Or drive a little north to Matauri bay for off the beach snorkelling.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
150 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay of Islands Snorkelling

We will be in "Bay of Islands for 1 port day from our cruise ship next Feb. 2015. In Port from 8A- 6P. We love to snorkel and were wondering if this is a good excursion to plan for our day in Bay of Islands. Is water too cold or would we need wet suits for swimming and snorkeling. Please advise or make other recommendations to enjoy our wonderful last cruise day in NZ. Many Thanks!

Are there reliable tour companies we should investigate for this day on the water?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay of Islands Snorkelling

Hi, LoveWineandTravel,

I started this thread, and ended up going snorkelling at Rawhiti, using my own transport and gear. It was just great.

I was recommended this spot by Craig at Paihia Dive. He was so helpful. They also offer diving and snorkelling trips, I think, although I didn't go on any of them.

http://www.divenz.com/

Feb in the Bay of Islands is generally pretty warm. Swimming you don't need wetsuits. But if you're snorkelling, you're in the water longer and might want them. I would, as I get cold very easily.

Craig at Paihia Dive (the link above) would give you great free advice.

Good on you, I'm envious!

Ben

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
150 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay of Islands Snorkelling

Thanks, I have just emailed the Dive Company for more info. We snorkeled extensively on a recent trip to French Polynesia and loved it. I don't know how this water and area compares but figured we would at least look into it..

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bay of Islands Snorkelling

Yeah, worth investigating it. Visibility when we were there was about 12 metres. But two weeks before that (before a big storm), it was over 30 metres, so people were saying.

7. Re: Bay of Islands Snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, May 20, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Paihia