We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which dolphin swim???

Picton, New Zealand
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Which dolphin swim???

Hi there, am heading to Paihia in Feb and wanted to swim with the dolphins. I was unsure which company would be the best - a large one like Fullers or a smaller one like Carino Sailing and Dolphin Adventures? Can anyone advise???

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which dolphin swim???

We did the great sights hole in the rock tour. 4 hrs the seating was facing forward and the dolphin cruise had sidewards facing seats -upstairs anyway. It was a bit bumpy on the way back and the great sights boat being a tiny bit bigger handled it better.

Both boats found the same pod of dolphins to swim with and the swim lasted 1/2 hr. Commentary was great on the great sights boat. Captain was great too. Cost the same for both boats generally but somehow we got 10% off great sights thru isite on the day it costs $15 extra to swim with dolphins and depends if they find a pod and if pod are friendly and has no babies.

You have to be able to swim. A guy jumped in, couldn't swim, despite all the warnings, and there was much kerfuffle to get him back on board.

Edited: 11:11 am, November 21, 2013
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which dolphin swim???

I went on the dolphin Eco-experience tour in March and it was fantastic-a small boat, really knowledgable staff and able to get up close to the pod and swim amongst the amazing dolphins. I think they also guarantee you another trip should you not see any dolphins on your trip, though I think that is unlikely.

Just from what I could see of the larger boats, it sometimes looked like a bit of a scramble to get a good view, but I'm sure you would still have a great time. Whichever you choose, it will be an amazing experience!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which dolphin swim???

A friend and me went with Carino and did the 1-Day Sailing & Dolphin Adventure (6hr) tour last year in November. We were 100% satisfied with everything. Great crew, yummy lunch and just a small group. Definitely would recommend them.

Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which dolphin swim???

Hi, There are three choices for you for smaller dolphin swimming trips.

Fuller's Greatsights Dolphin Eco Experience which is $109.00 per Adult (No Swim Charge) and takes 35 people. The boat is specifically designed for viewing and easy access to the water. This leaves at 8.00am and 12.30pm and is a 4 hour trip touring the islands and looking for dolphins and possibly swimming with them. They guarantee that you see dolphins or whales or you have a return trip Free.

Explore NZ Dolphin Discoveries Swim with Dolphin Cruise which is $89.00 per Adult and $15.00 cash payable on board the boat " Cash after Slash" No Swim - No Swim Fee. This boat takes 45 people and also specially designed for Viewing and easy access to water. They leave at 8.00am and 12.30pm which is a 4 hour trip Cruising the Islands looking for Dolphins and Possibly Swimming. They also guarantee that you see Dolphins or Whales or you get a return trip free.

Carino Sailing & Dolphins is a 50ft Catamaran which is $114.00 per Adult plus $6.00 per person for BBQ Lunch. This boat takes 40 people and leaves at 9.30am returning 3.45pm. They have Island Cruising, Dolphin Seeking & possibly Swimming, Island Stopover, Island exploring, Snorkelling, Swimming and BBQ Lunch.

I hope this is of help to you. It will be still quite busy here in the Bay of Islands in February. Good Luck with your trip. Kind regards Sue

5. Re: Which dolphin swim???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Paihia