We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi/3G

Which Paihia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading
Level Contributor
283 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wifi/3G

We are visiting soon and taking a recently bought 3G iPad in which we are complete novices, also planning to buy an NZ pay as you go SIM card for a separate phone. Can anyone advise on:

a) which network has best coverage in Northland

b) would we better waiting until we get there to NZ to buy SIMs for both rather than doing it before leaving the UK

c) if yes to question b, better to do it at Auckland airport where we'll have a few of hours to kill or when we get to Paihia?

Thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi/3G

Hi Phil,

Im on a Vodafone prepay mobile (same SIM card for almost 10 years) and i have good coverage around Northland (my permanent base) as well as the rest of the North island and Australia. Ive used the same connection to txt from Christchurch with equally good results. You can purchase Vodafone SIMs easily once you enter the arrivals (public) area at Auckland International. If you dont manage to purchase a SIM and topup at international, the Domestic terminal sells Vodafone SIMS etc. Easy to buy a prepay topup in BOI outlets also.

Reading
Level Contributor
283 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi/3G

Thanks very much. We'll have four days in Sydney on the way home, I hadn't thought.about using the same SIMs in both places.

Whangarei, Northland
Destination Expert
for Auckland, Whangarei
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi/3G

Either Vodafone or 2 degrees SIMs will work equally well for you - in Northland, 2 degrees runs off the Vodafone network anyway, so these are effectively the same, and 2 degrees rates are slightly cheaper.

The SIMs are readily available in several shops within Auckland airport, the basic pack is $5.

Northland is notorious for having quite a number of black spots for cellphone coverage, so don't expect great coverage everywhere. In the main towns it is fine though.

You should find free wi-fi available in some places, probably at your accommodation, depending where you have booked.....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wifi/3G

So how did the 'sims' workout? Wondering about the same when there in March 2013. Need a microsim for my Iphone 4s and I-Pad 2. Wouldn't mind if they worked in Australia as well as there for a week. Your thoughts post trip??

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wifi/3G

I find it is cheaper to use an Oz card in Oz, and a NZ card in NZ especially for data roaming.

Every one seems to have a favourite supplier. However my wife and I have the 3 networks covered with business and pvt phones and to be perfectly honest we cant tell the difference. We use 2 degrees for private call as its cheaper, but the others are cheaper for TXT.

There are usually deals for prepaid modem sticks so shop around.

Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wifi/3G

Hi Phil

Either a Vodafone or 2 degrees sim card would be your best bet. I would buy in Auckland at the airport if you can. Paihia does have a vodafone and 2 degrees outlet at the Paihia Bookshop.

We have a 15 minute free Wireless hotspot at our booking office right on the corner of Paihia township.

Regards Sue

Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wifi/3G

Hi,

Is there roaming charges between North & South Island?

In Indonesia, there's' roaming charges' if you go to a different city from your base city.

I will be spending 2 days in North island & 11 days in South island.

Should I buy the SIM card at Auckland or wait till I get to Christchurch?

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wifi/3G

There are no North/South Island roaming charges. 2 Degrees is probably the best deal $5 prepay. They have far more generous data plans (important when you're travelling I think!) in major city areas i.e. Auck, Christchurch.

That said, NZ mobile charges are still high compared to most OECD countries.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wifi/3G

Hi, I have a 2 degrees prepaid card with data on it but next to no 3g coverage in pahia very disappointing. Had to rely on wifi from hotel.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wifi/3G

Hi Humey76,

it may be that your phone doesn't operate on the 900Mghz band. 2 degrees automatically roams on vodafone (same data rate) outside large metro areas. Most new phones now cover that spectrum. Vodafones 3g coverage is good in Paihia. Also make sure you have roaming enabled on your phone, otherwise it may not switch to voda automatically. It will then use your 2 degrees data allowance on the Vodafone 3g network - IF it works on 900mghz.

Hope this is helpful.