We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip in early December

Which Paihia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
1 post
Save Topic
Trip in early December

My husband, 3 year old son and I will be traveling to Whangarei in early December for a family reunion. We have 3 days before heading back to Canada to spend some time in Northland and we were thinking of Paihia. We want to stay someplace nice. I'd read good things about Paihia Beach Resort, then read a negative posting on Yahoo. It's pricey (NZ$478 pn and up), so I want to be sure before committing. If anyone has experinence with this hotel, or with other recommendations in that area that you'd recommend, I'd love to hear from you.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip in early December

Just bumping this to the top for you- hopefully someone can help out.

I haven't stayed there but it's in a good location and handy to all activities and tours.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip in early December

Hi there

I think your plan of spending 3 days in the Bay of Islands is a good one.

I imagine that with a 3 year old you would want to be based in 1 place.

In the Bay of Islands you really have 5 distinct areas that you could choose for accommodation

OPUA - small town where the ferry goes from over to Russell

RUSSELL - quaint old town with loads of accommodation & nice restaurants (quieter than Paihia)

PAIHIA - main centre of the Bay of Islands, will be very busy in December, but a good base if you want to be right in the centre of everything

HARURU FALLS/ PUKETONA ROAD - this area is on the way to Kerikeri, but there are lots of nice accommodation places within about 5 minutes drive of Paihia

KERIKERI - nice town, with 2 great wineries, loads of restaurants, fruit growing, arts & crafts, and a couple of very significant historic spots.

There are absolutely hundreds of accommodation options - have a look at www.aatravel.co.nz for a comprehensive list.

You don't need to pay $478 a night unless you want something really amazingly flash.

In December, somewhere around $200-$250 would get you really nice accommodation.

3. Re: Trip in early December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 02, 2009