We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More scenic road from Napier to Palmerston

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
More scenic road from Napier to Palmerston

Driving from Napier to Palmerston North Dec15th on a photographic trip around NZ. Happy to do multiple stops, but as I will be in a hire car apparently I can't take it on unsealed roads. I want to leave early to catch the sunrise somewhere along the road, but which route should I take. Route 50 or route 2. I'm a sixty yr old woman travelling alone so any exuberant walks for a good photo op would need careful consideration for the sunrise.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More scenic road from Napier to Palmerston

Highway 50 connects up with Highway 2 just after Waipukurau. 50 is a country road so scenery is farming with a couple of good ol' country pubs along the way. Travelling alone and for safety's sake I would stick to Highway 2.

For sunrise photos, perhaps consider going up Te Mata Peak (just out of Havelock Nth) or Bluff Hill (Napier city) which gives you panaramic views around Hawke Bay (ocean).

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More scenic road from Napier to Palmerston

Just be aware that sunrise is currently 5:43am in Napier, and will be even earlier when you arrive.

3. Re: More scenic road from Napier to Palmerston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, December 12, 2014