We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

Which Napier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

Hi again!!

We're coming in to Napier on a cruise ship, and we'd like to go to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory.

Coes anyone know how far it is from the Cruise Ship Port, and how we can get there - either by public transport, tour company, or a rental car? If rental car, can anyone recommend a company which either drops off/picks up at the port, is walking-distance to the port, or either a short taxi-ride or handy to public transport in the city?

The cruise docks at 12 midday, and leaves at 6, so we don't have time for a day tour, but if there was a tour say between 1 and 5 that had other things as well, that would also be fine!

Thanks aagain to everybody who posts, it does really help to plan!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

Your best way to get to Silky Oaks would be by taxi(or rental although I can't recommend any cpmpanies) Silky Oaks is out in the country and not on any public transport routes, it fairly straight forward to get there, maybe 20 minutes drive, give or take a few. Perhaps get in touch with a local taxi company and get them to quote for a round trip, I'm sure they'll do you a deal. You could have them run you past Church Road Winery and Mission Estate on your way back to the boat, both on the same road and only 10 minutes away from Silky Oaks.

And as an after thought, perhaps get in touch with Silky Oaks, they may have a shuttle service available to get cruise passengers to their business.

Sydney
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

Thanks Zappers, yet again very informative!! Thanks also for the extra suggestion of the winery. I've also emailed Silky Oaks, will post on this forum any info they give me in case it helps others late on!

Can I ask for 3 more pieces of info?

1. On another forum which you replied to, someone mentioned a tour company, I think it was run by a friend of your mum's, Jenny? I can't find it now though, but I had a quick look at the time and they had an afternoon tour which included the chocolate factory. Do you know any contact details?

2nd Question: Roughly how much would a 20-minute taxi drive be?

3rd Question: Are taxis plentiful at the cruise terminal, and they reliable to call, if we call one from the factory to collect us again?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

I know you're in a rush but I'll have to speak to Mum in HB to see if Jenny is still doing tours. I'll try to find out for youwith in the next 24hrs.

Sorry I have no idea of the taxi cost, I have my own transport when I'm there! ;)

I would imagine taxis would be plentiful at the port and geared up for the cruise ships, Napier is a regular port of call. There definitely should be plenty available to come and collect you too, Napier & Hastings are "big" cities. You may still get a better price if you book a taxi for the round trip and he waits for you at each point of call.

Sydney
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

Hi Zappers,

Thanks yet again, don't worry though now about finding Jenny's number for us for this trip though, we've worked something out! Turns out one of the ship's tours does go to the factory, just not stay for very long...we may do that or do our own thing.

Anyway, I did find out some more info in case it's useful for others:

Taxi ride about 15 minutes, aprox $30NZ

Bus goes from Napier called GoBus, I think it is Route 12. it stops right outside the factory and also takes about 15 minutes, website is …govt.nz/WhatWeDo/…map

thanks again for all your help as usual!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

How much chocolate can you eat that you need to stay awhile.........or is that a stupid question? :)

And you've found out something I didn't know- the GoBus passes by. They must have put Silky oaks on there tourist visit list.

You could also do an Art Deco walking tour of the city (which is just 5-10min walk from the port), there are some beautiful buildings and also have a wander along Marine Parade, another lovely area. As you leave the port along the parade Coote Rd runs up the hill on the right, you might like to take a stroll through the Hanging Gardens just a few meters up the road. This used to be the old prison quarry.

Sydney
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

Thanks Zappers, that's some great ideas and we probably will have a wander round those things.

Too much chocolate is never enough!! - no seriously, as alot of our ports will be gogogo tours, I thought it might be nice to take our time, and chill out a bit, especially as we only have a short time in the port anyway (12 - 6pm- the chocloate place has a cafe, and the tours of course just rush thorugh, see what there is to see and head off to the next thing. Just might be nice to take our time, not on a schedule and have a really nice hot choloclate and snack, and go when we're ready!

Sydney
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

unless of course Napier has Hot Springs......just kidding ; )

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

Well there are a few hot springs in Hawkes Bay but they're a fair way out......... :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

how far by driving?? if they're commercial, can you give me a name, and I'll check out online.....thanks!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Silky Oak Chocolate Factory from port??

Believe me you don't want to go there, they're all out in the far reaches of Hawkes Bay a good 2 hour drive one way on hilly, winding and sometimes gravel roads! You have better things to do. As you'll see most of them are contained by concrete or fibreglass too :)

www.nzhotpools.co.nz/regions/hawkes_bay

And a warning, I forgot to mention in any of your other hot pool posts, don't under any circumstances put your head under any thermal water- whether public concrete pools or crude swimming holes, amoebic meningitis is a killer and enters the body through ears, nose and mouth in droplets of water.

And a final note, Jenny has sold her business, the company name is Bay Tours & Charters.

Edited: 3:31 am, January 06, 2010