We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the name of the water fall

Wales
4 posts
Save Topic
Whats the name of the water fall

While travelling south from Taupo to Napier on highway 5 we past a waterfall which was only a few hundred yards off the highway and about one hours drive from Taupo. While coming off the highway the road led to a small car park where you had a good view of the waterfall. I'm trying to find the name of the waterfall. Can anyone help me. I've taken a photo of the waterfall which would help to identify the waterfall.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the name of the water fall

How's this for service, In exactly 10 minutes you have the answer!

- Waipunga Falls

Wales
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the name of the water fall

Thanks Zapper. If you want the photo i'll send it to you.

once again thanks

Wales
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the name of the water fall

Zapper, Thanks again for the name of the water fall (Waipunga falls). I was able to get information about the falls from the net once you give me the name.. I was very impressed with your quick response to my query. I was very impressed with New Zealand, and you rugby team is not bad. But I think we (Wales) will thrash you tomorrow in Cardiff. lol. I don't think so, I've always been a dreamer.

Once agian thanks.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the name of the water fall

Dreams are free! I'm just looking forward to the crowd singing- that's one thing the Welsh have got- fantastic voices, goose bumps all around!

You know what, I have passed that waterfall.... must be 1000 times in the past *mumble mumble* years and I have only ever driven in to see it once and that was to show some visitors. Just goes to show you how little we Kiwis appreciate what we have sometimes, to me it's always been a matter of getting from A to B or in this case from Napier (my home town) to the rest of the Nth Island. I had to shake a few cobwebs and reach back into far reaches of my memory to recall it's name as it's not that well known to appear on many maps. Funny what you can recall when the need arises.

The Napier-Taupo road is one of my favourite drives in NZ and I know it like the back of my hand (I spent 6 months driving it every 2nd or 3rd day when we had a business in Napier and one in Tauranga (where I now live), such a diverse range of scenery from the plains to volcanic scrub, forests and beautiful native bush, clear fast flowing rivers and streams,mountain ranges and vineyards.

When I was little this road was an all day affair to cross (now 1hr30 is a good run) , it was so twisty and windy with some very steep climbs. Mum, Dad and 4 kids in a old Ford would take forever to get to Taupo. We had to carry spare water for the radiator, spare petrol, food for a picnic on the way, sleeping gear in case we broke down (which did happen often, once we spent the whole night in the car waiting for someone to come by) Nowadays there has been many bypasses and deviations that have shorten the route by miles. In fact the waterfall is on one of the main deviations that took out a whole swag of miles that happen to be the worst for twists and turns and it was gravel as well. Now when I'm heading home from Napier and I reach the falls turn-in I make a mental note " you're over half way to Taupo and out of the the winding roads with only the plains to cross" Yipee!

That's me, rambling for the day.................Good luck for tommorrow.......you're going to need it ;)

Wales
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the name of the water fall

Thanks for the e mail,

You are right to say we don,t appreciate whats on our doorstep.. I live in south wales near the coast and about 4 miles from the Gower which is a designated area, with rugged coastline and numerous small beaches. Very popular with tourists during the summer months ,but its not very often I go there myself.

You give us a thrashing yesterday. Never mind I can keep on dreaming that one day we will beat you. But I don't think it will happen during my time on this earth. Never mind, as long as we beat the english.

6. Re: Whats the name of the water fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 27, 2009