We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping? anyone willing to join

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new zealand
6 posts
Save Topic
camping? anyone willing to join

was just wondering if there was any restrictions on camping in new zealand i am staying for about a year and really enjoy camping so i might try and do some do you have to stay on permanant campsites or can you camp any were and anyone willing to come along is more than welcome

and thanks for any information anyone has surplied in other questions i have asked

thanks dave

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping? anyone willing to join

You'll soon be asked to move on if your on private land, and that includes some beaches, rivers and forest land, also a lot of places have signs warning of no overnight camping. I'd be a bit wary of isolated areas but yes you can mostly stop where and when the desire takes you. Obviously "take only photos, leave only footprints!"

It might be a good idea to look at the DOC campsites, there are over 230 sites throughout NZ and they are often in spectacular settings. They are also mostly very basic but adequate. Some of them(serviced) have a fee anywhere from $3-$10 but they also do have free informal camps available.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Explore/003~Huts-Cabins-and-Campsites/Conservation-Campsites/index.asp

2. Re: camping? anyone willing to join

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 26, 2009