We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange USD to NZD at Airport or Banks in City

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
127 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange USD to NZD at Airport or Banks in City

We are travelling to New Zealand on a tour and would like to know the best places to exchange USD which we will be carrying. Can anyone please tell us where is the best place to change USD to NZD and whether the Bank counter at the Auckland Airport will offer the same rates as the ones downtown. Will also be happy if you could kindly inform the indicative exchange rates currently offered by Banks against USD Currency. We have ruled out the ATM options against credit/debit cards since there is a charge involved by the Banks and will be carrying currency as we have some USD left over from our earlier overseas trips. We will require local currency as we are on conducted group tour and will require money for food, grocery, shopping etc. and other activities. Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,151 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange USD to NZD at Airport or Banks in City

The exchange rate offered by ATMs is far superior to that offered by TravelEx at the airport. Generally the best rates are those offered when you use your credit card for purchases as long as your bank doesn't levy high fees. If you must use your leftover $US try a downtown bank. Remember to take your passport as they might ask for ID.

Edited: 5:45 pm, April 28, 2014
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange USD to NZD at Airport or Banks in City

www.bnz.co.nz

www.westpac.co.nz

Are two NZ banks that will show you indicative Fx rates. Do not use Travelex at airports as they charge fees and have lower Fx rates. Also do not change USD currency at motels/hotels etc. Each town/city in NZ will have at least one of the major four NZ trading bank branches.

I always use ATM debit card, withdrawing maximum funds each time.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange USD to NZD at Airport or Banks in City

You would get better rates in downtown Auckland, there are dozens of currency exchange services in central Auckland. Because I had nothing better to do I spent several hours comparing FX rates and commissions between all of the providers, the banks were not among the cheapest. but all rates were fairly competitive. I saved a few dollars but wasted a lot of time.

I happened to use Flight Centre Travel Money store on Queen Street because they had the best rate at that time (converting NZD to USD). But these no Guarantee they would be the best deal when you are in Auckland.

For a guide for current exchange rates look here

interest.co.nz/currencies/selling-foreign-cu…

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange USD to NZD at Airport or Banks in City

Another warning to avoid Travelex at the airport.

On the other hand, as others have said, unless you are converting thousands of dollars you can waste an awful lot of holiday time going round comparing rates just to save a few dollars.

Personally, for security reasons I don't like to carry large amounts of cash nowadays and prefer to either pay by credit card or withdraw cash from ATMs from my cheque account (not a cash advance which is disastrous in terms of interest charges).

5. Re: Exchange USD to NZD at Airport or Banks in City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 01, 2015