We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas grocery shopping?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas grocery shopping?

My husband and I will be visiting Auckland for the first time with another couple for Christmas. We will be arriving early on December 24 and leaving on December 27, and will be visiting Tiritiri Matangi on the 26th (so will need picnic supplies). We will be staying at the Quality Alexander Inn which is near Newmarket, and will have a car.

Do you have any suggestions for where would be good to pick up ingredients for Christmas breakfast/lunch/dinner as well as picnic supplies on December 24? I am gluten-free and my husband has to avoid dairy so that makes it a little more challenging. We would prefer to pick up things that won’t require a whole lot of preparation, but, will have access to a kitchen with an oven.

Suggestions that we have received so far include:

Farro Fresh

34 Westmoreland St W, Grey Lynn, Auckland 1021

Jack Lum and Co Fruit Shop

3 Clonbern Rd, Remuera, Auckland

New World at Victoria Park, in Ponsonby

Nosh at Greenlane or Ponsonby Road

Sabato in Newmarket

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

On Christmas Eve, it would be best to go somewhere fairly local and not have to bother with heavy traffic. There is a Countdown supermarket in Newmarket which will have a full range of everyday grocery items including easy to prepare foods, bakery, fruit and veges etc. Directions for getting there - www.westfield.co.nz/newmarket/gettinghere

Of the list above, Sabato would also be local, but it is more high end delicatessen items. Nosh at Greenlane might also be reasonably handy, depending on where in Newmarket your accommodation is. The Farro Fresh and New World stores listed would require driving through busy central city traffic.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
175 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

I agree with Selsy - traffic will be terrible on the 24th so don't plan to drive too far. Do your shopping earlier in the day too as stores can run out of things. I would suggest going to Nosh Greenlane first and getting the nicer/more gourmet items, then topping up with anything more basic that you need at Countdown Newmarket. Nosh allow you to order meat and seafood for Christmas in advance so then when you arrive on the 24th it's ready for you to pick up - a good timesaver and guarantees they'll have what you want.

While you're in Newmarket you might also want to visit Wise Cicada, they are a cafe/grocery store which has loads of gluten and dairy free options - delicious takeaway salads and the like.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

Countdown Newmarket is a very well provisioned supermarket. I suggest you could probably find most of your purchases there. The 360 Discovery vessel that cruises to Tiri sells prepared food, so they may be able to supply fresh fruit and a salad if you are still needing foods for lunch on the 26th.

Another area close by Newmarket to find deli-foods is the Mt Eden Road village.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
672 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

I am not familiar with Auckland's supermarkets, but here in Dunedin, Countdown and New World Market each have gluten-free food sections. I assume the same would be true of Auckland's large supermarkets (more so as the population is much larger). The other day I noticed that New World Market even had a booklet at its entry on gluten-free dining with a lengthy list of products available in the store. Some of the New World Markets even have online gluten-free lists, such as this one in Wellington, though they may not be up-to-date:

…newworld.co.nz/media/2320305/miramarglutenf…

Countdown also has a website:

http://www.countdown.co.nz/search-results?topsearch_query=gluten+free

Additionally, there are websites such as this:

http://www.glutenfreeland.co.nz/

The Auckland supermarket I know best is the Countdown near the airport, which is small and thus not well stocked, but it's easy to find so you might pop in there to see if they have enough to meet your immediate needs. This might save you from driving around central Auckland on a busy traffic day (as Selsy and sunnynz have cautioned). My husband and I been to Auckland many times and generally try to avoid driving, as the traffic can be terrible--I can't imagine what it will be like on a holiday. Here in Dunedin, the streets are deserted on holidays.

5. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, March 28, 2014
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

Thanks for the links. I had been wondering about ordering food in advance to be delivered (e.g., gluten free products). Was hoping that many in Auckland leave town for the holiday? Is that not the case?

Have you checked out the bakery Heart of Flavor (http://heartofflavour.co.nz/)? It has several gluten free cakes that sound yummy and is in Newmarket.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

Most people will work right up to Christmas Eve, so it'll be busy busy in the city. Also, alot of people save up their holidays till the new year, when the weather is more settled. This year we'll get good long weekends for xmas and New years (thurs-sun)

Assuming you're picking up the car at the airport, you might as well so at the supermarket by the airport, saves stress later!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

People who leave town for the holiday will quite likely do so on the 24th. Before they leave, they're also quite likely to do some last minute shopping, so minimising your car journeys that day is recommended.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

Yes, we will be picking up the car at the airport. I read elsewhere that the grocery store near the airport was not as well stocked as others? We will be arriving very early so were thinking it could get us into town without too much trouble. With jetlag, will likely want to take a nap first before doing too much. Of course depends upon when we can check in.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
672 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas grocery shopping?

The Countdown near the airport will be just minutes from your auto rental pick-up, so it shouldn't be too much out of your way. They'll certainly have the basics and then some: fruits and veggies, meat, fish, eggs, gluten-free bread, rice pasta, coffee, etc. Otherwise, your accommodation will be blocks from Westfield Mall 277 Newmarket, which also has a Countdown.