We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North island

Huonville, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
North island

Heading to Auckland for 13 days get in on Good Friday. Just hubby and I. Should we hire a small car, a camper or do one of the trips where you use the public transport and stop off at different places/hotels that they arrange (13 days in around $2000au). Not sure which are the cheapest but best car/camper rentals? Bed and breakfast versus hotels? It is Easter time which is another concern if we don't prebook. Love some feedback..

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Oz
Level Contributor
14,180 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North island

Hi,

What did you do that was so bad that you have to spend so much time in Auckland? I would escape to Rotorua/BOI if your'e game.

Actually my first choice would be an internal flight to Queenstown :-)

Cheers,

Edited: 2:31 am, March 20, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,858 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North island

Haha!

Assuming the OP means 13 days in NZ, not Auckland ...

You had better get cracking with your plans. Easter is a very busy time for accommodation in all popular tourist spots.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,476 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North island

I suggest you begin planning out a suitable route, according to your interests for visiting NZ. 13 days will see you cover one island comfortably. If planning to see something of both islands, consider at least one domestic flight.

Rental cars offer great flexibility in terms of driving, and distance travel. NZ has a great mix of hotels, B&Bs, s/c motels, apartments, luxury lodges, hostels. This site is very useful for planning your NZ adventures - http://www.newzealand.com/

The AA site offers tips and advice about driving, exploring sights and for accommodations searches - http://www.aa.co.nz/travel/

Huonville, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North island

Thank you for your replies. I have booked Auckland first night, two nights in Paihia. Planning to head to Rotorua but was thinking if there is an alternative to staying in Auckland (leaving from Paihia). Somewhere between Paihia and Rotorua?? Then thinking overnight in Rotorua or perhaps two nights, Taupo then return hire car. Travel from Auckland on the Northern Explorer to Wellington to stay for a couple of nights before flying back to Auckland. How does this sound?

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Paihia
Paihia
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Huonville, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North island

Thank you for your replies. I have booked Auckland first night, two nights in Paihia. Planning to head to Rotorua but was thinking if there is an alternative to staying in Auckland (leaving from Paihia). Somewhere between Paihia and Rotorua?? Then thinking overnight in Rotorua or perhaps two nights, Taupo then return hire car. Travel from Auckland on the Northern Explorer to Wellington to stay for a couple of nights before flying back to Auckland. I didn't want to spend so much time in Auckland - had only booked the first night there. How does this sound?

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Paihia
Paihia
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
6. Re: North island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2015