We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

Brisbane
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

Hi everyone!

I will be arriving into Auckland on a Saturday @ 12.25pm and am booked into Waldorf Bankside Apartments for 2 nights. I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the fastest and cheapest way to my accommodation. I will not be renting a car at the airport and instead, will be renting a car on the Monday for 3 nights in Rotorua and then back to Auckland again for 2 nights.

Thanks in advance! :)

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
SKYCITY Grand Hotel
SKYCITY Grand Hotel
#3 of 66 hotels in Auckland Central
Abaco On Jervois
Abaco On Jervois
#6 of 66 hotels in Auckland Central
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,421 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

Fastest is to grab a taxi - plenty waiting outside the arrivals terminal. This is an expensive option, but most efficient in terms of journey time and convenience. Fellow posters can recommend a discounted taxi service that you need to pre-book, since they don't use the airport area to sit while waiting for customers.

Cheapest options include the shuttle services (door to door) and the Airbus Express into the CBD.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

Airbus is the cheapest ($26 return) and is often faster than a shuttle (since they go to random places), and not that much slower than a taxi (as they have virtually no stops to make between the airport and the central city). The one downside of the bus is that you will have a short walk from the stop, which involves a bit of an incline (but not for long and not steep).

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

If there are 2 of you, then Discount Taxis is almost as cheap as any of the bus options. (but you need to pre-book)

http://www.discounttaxis.co.nz/ - $40 flat fare

Other taxi services are likely to be $60-$70

The AIRBUS is very efficient, so is a good option (leaves from outside the terminal every 10-15 minutes).

You do have about a 5 minute walk up a bit of a hill from where this bus stops to your hotel though.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

I used green eco cabs on my most recent trip and they were reasonable, good vehicles and safe driver. The shuttle is another option, takes a little longer as they wait til shuttle is full and then move off dropping off passengers at their destinations.

Auckland
Level Contributor
242 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

Hmm, "Catch 22"...fastest is not the cheapest, cheapest is not the fastest...decide what is your main priority, then you can choose from suggestions above.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

Thank you all for your advice/suggestions! I have decided on taking the airbus express to and from the airport. Because we are on a budget, the cheapest option is our main priority :)

Ampang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
105 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

hi,

Anyone can help. We are in a budget trip. From Auckland International airport to Nautilus Orewa apartment by public transport ? Please advise.

Thank you.

Angel

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

Hi Angel,

What day and time do you arrive.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

Auckland Transport have a journey planner here

https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/

It just requires departure location, destination, and time, and it will tell you what buses to catch. It will take at least 2 buses, and will be a reasonably long journey, over 2 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to City - Fastest and cheapest way

Hi Angel,

Based on a week day, you can get the airbus to Auckland city $16 (one way) and $28 (return) per person, the trip is about 40 minutes. If you get off the bus in Queen Street at Base Backpackers it's a short walk to the bus stop to take you to the apartments. Bus numbers are about 895, 895X, 893, etc but you need to check. The bus trip is between 1 hour (express) to 1 hour 30 minutes (as per the bus timetables) and costs $10:50 per person one way.

For airbus: www.airbus.co.nz

For bus to Orewa: https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/

Edited: 4:06 am, November 08, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Queen Street
Queen Street
1,060 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Base Auckland Central Backpackers
Base Auckland Central...
1,025 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand