We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on hotels

Hello,

I'm planning to spend 5 nights in Auckland. I'd appreciate advice on the following:

(a) I arrive in NZ close to midnight - is it easy getting transport to a hotel downtown after midnight? How much will the cost be?

(b) My 2 priorities are to do the whale/dolphin cruise and nature tour. Is it better to stay downtown and near the harbour? But I need a quiet room and am prepared to pay a premium for good sleep.

(c) After doing the 2 things mentioned in (b), I go to Queenstown and then come back to Auckland before leaving NZ. I'll love to experience a farm-stay or boutique hotel near nature or the sea. Will it be costly to get from the airport to these places & will I be able to find eateries or convenience stores outside these lodging?

Any suggestions will be welcome, including booking for the dolphin/whale cruise and nature walk.

Unique Visions Tours
Photography Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Auckland Scenic Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Auckland Whale & Dolphin Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Heletranz Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours, Day Trips
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on hotels

There will not be anywhere in Auckland city that can be guaranteed to be completely quiet.

However, some of the better hotels will most likely have better sound proofing.. I would guess the Hilton at the end of Princes Wharf would be a good bet.

Also this is very close to the AIRBUS stop (maybe 2-3 minutes flat walk along the waterfront).

AIRBUS is very easy to use, leaves from directly outside the airport terminal and takes you to the CBD - costs $16 per person.

After midnight it is still running, every half an hour.

If you choose to take a taxi instead for convenience, these are just waiting outside the terminal and at that time of night should be about $60.

Definitely stay near the waterfront for the activities you want to do - the hotel I suggested above would be perfect.

When you come back at the end of the trip, it would be much easier if you can rent a car....It will the hard and/or fairly expensive to get to outlying areas otherwise.

Have a look at this place, it is a great location by the sea and has several shops and cafes within walking distance.

www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/24894.asp

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on hotels

Thank you, Andychef, for the superb advice. I'll definitely consider your suggestions.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on hotels

Further to the suggestions for the end of your trip - it is possible to get a shuttle service rather than renting a car, to get to the area I was suggesting....

http://coastshuttle.co.nz/

These obviously have to be pre-arranged.

Still will offer you a lot more flexibility to explore the area a bit further if you had a car.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on hotels

Check out www.dolphinplanet.co.nz this leaves from a marina near down town, a short taxi ride.

Or www.exploregroup.co.nz. They both offer dolphin watching experiences.

Aucklands hauraki gulf contains some nice day trip accessible islands all leaving from downtown auckland.

Www.fullers.co.nz to see your options there.

5. Re: Advice on hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central