We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bay of islands

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
bay of islands

we will be docking at bay of islands from cruise ship. any suggestions on how to spend a few hours there. thanks in advance.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bay of islands

I guess it depends where your ship anchors and the tenders drop you. I imagine that will be Paihia or Russell. Either way I suggest for a few hours visit Russell (short ferry ride from Paihia) and stroll around what is an historic little place with a relaxed air to it, and was once the nation's capital. Visit the country's oldest church, stroll up Maiki Hill above for views and have a drink in one of the waterside cafes or bars, The Duke of Marlborough is one with lots of history. Lovely place Russell.

For other ideas take a look at these suggestions : newzealandholidaytravel.com/pages/Bay_of_Isl…

One word of warning - if anyone should suggest the Waitangi Treaty Grounds then bear in mind the admission price is very expensive for non-Kiwis. My advice would be to save your dollars and spend your few hours elsewhere.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bay of islands

The cost of entering the Treaty grounds is $25. Up to you as to whether you consider this very expensive or not. I personally found the Treaty grounds a very moving experience.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,131 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bay of islands

If you go to Paihia you will find a craft market set up especially for your cruise ship on the green opposite the wharf. I would suggest that you catch the Tender to Paihia first off have a look around the "Commercial sector" of the Bay and take a walk up to the Treaty Grounds. One can access the Treaty Grounds for free via the Copthorne Hotel grounds, but one wont have access to the retail shop etc. A ferry ride to Russel will allow you to look at the first capital of NZ. Most of Russell can be covered on foot and then catch the tender from Russell back to your ship.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bay of islands

thank you very much the trip to Paihia sounds lovely so will do that.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bay of islands

you make it sound tempting !! thank you

Auckland
Level Contributor
242 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bay of islands

We find Russell much more interesting than Paihia. You can walk around and look at the old-style buildings and get a feel of what it was like when the whaler's were there and it was NZ's first capital. Take a look at Russell Christ's Church …govt.nz/en/…christ-church-russell (and note the bullet holes in the walls!!!). Pompallier House is very interesting too (though entry fee applies here!). The ferry ride from Paihia is not very long.

Have fun in what is coined "the winter less North"

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bay of islands

thank you very much.

8. Re: bay of islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 25, 2014